Is Wellness safe?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I am beginning to think that none of the companies are being forthcoming with us. I just bought Innova Lt. today...
Now I really am afraid to use it.
Even if they haven't been forthcoming (and NaturaPet are getting a very strongly worded letter from me for the several different stories they have given me) - their plant is separate from the recalled foods so the food you have should be fine.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about Blue Spa Selects? Buffy ate that before Wellness, but I'm thinking of putting her on Evangers until this whole mess is sorted out. However, just in case she doesn't like the Evangers (it's one of the safe foods to feed, right? I heard either Evangers or Evolve in a "Safe Foods" list but can't remember which), I want to have a backup that's safe to eat as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

How can they say they do not use the "specific ingredient that has caused the recall to take place" if that ingredient has not yet been identified?

Hmmmm.......
suspected is wheat gluten but I like u am raising an eyebrow and not using any of the companies that use any Menu plants for the time being

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ack

stoli eats wellness - and has his whole time with me.....and then that mysterious ailment in january. . . .he's eaten his last can of wellness.

ebongrey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats, Moggie and Luci, have been eating Wellness on and off for the past year. They are both perfectly healthy. Having said that, I will be feeding them Non-Menu produced wet food until we know for sure what has caused this. I would rather be safe than sorry.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, the two processing plants involved with the poisoned pet food make gravy pouch products and cans of savory sauce or gravy with meat and fish cuts. But it is interesting that all of these companies rely on those two plants to process their food.

I guess Friskies, the cat food people love to bash, is one of the safest brands!

I am just darn lucky so far because I've fed some of my cats the Nutro Natural Choice pouch products and so far, all is well with them.

Has anyone heard of Purina Pro Plan cat products on the recall list?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillar

From what I understand, the two processing plants involved with the poisoned pet food make gravy pouch products and cans of savory sauce or gravy with meat and fish cuts. But it is interesting that all of these companies rely on those two plants to process their food.

I guess Friskies, the cat food people love to bash, is one of the safest brands!

I am just darn lucky so far because I've fed some of my cats the Nutro Natural Choice pouch products and so far, all is well with them.

Has anyone heard of Purina Pro Plan cat products on the recall list?
So far Purina has only recalled Mighty dog pouches....

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whew! All of our cats enjoy ProPlan and I've been feeding them small amounts of the 3 oz. cans. So far so good.

As for those Nutro Natural Choice pouches, I opened one two weeks ago and noticed that the gravy or liquid in the pouch was very watery and didn't look right. It didn't smell right, either, and Mooie just turned up his nose at it and wouldn't eat it, so I dumped it out in the garbage disposal.

noelle&oliver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillar

I actually didn't find it all that unusual. Many companies now, regardless of what they produce, will rely on a 3rd party to manufacture the final product. It's a cost control measure. Instead of all of them having their own canning facilities, they outsource it to a 3rd party that specializes in just canning. It is my understanding that Innova has their own dry food plant, which has different equipment than a canning plant, but didn't have their own canning plant. They are now in the process of either obtaining an existing canning facility, or building one. I can't speak for Wellness.

My own personal theory is that the one Menu plant that was contaminated is the facility that makes the medium to lesser grade foods - in terms of ingredients. The other plant, which is used by Wellness, Innova, etc, has a different ingredient stock, and was not contaminated. I could very well be wrong.

I know it's been over a month since this thread has been posted to, but for anyone who's interested - my cat's have been eating Innova products for over a year and are fine. They've also eaten Wellness lately with no ill effects.