Is Vitamin K Supplement The Same As Menadione Sodium Bisulfite

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just realized on many canned cat foods they list Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, my cats have been eating it until they stopped eating Fancy Feast...Smart Cats... I looked it up and almost fell over that I was giving them that.. It was an ingredient I was not aware of so looked it up.Had to buy a magnifying glass the TV-36 which you can carry around as ingredients on pet food cans are so small... Question is is Vitamin K supplement the same?? or is it different as I see now that may be listed but not the Menadione??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
As I understand it after researching for my kitty, vitamin K3 is the synthetic menadione (K1 and K2 are not synthetic K), but some brands are not particularly careful in their labelling to where they specify whether theirs is the K3 so it's challenging to know for certain.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US they're only allowed to use synthetic vitamin K supplement. I personally avoid anything that says "vit k supplement" because I know it's synthetic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
then how come some put the menadione sodium Bisulfite down and others put Vit K supplement down.. There must be a d difference or are they fooling people because a smart person will not buy food with the MSB in it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I personally think some manufacturers are trying some sleight of hand/ smoke screening regarding the labelling, but mostly I'm guessing it just depends on who is typing the information into the labelling system at the canning plant.