Is veraflox liquid and prednisolone safe for cats ? Help choose which medicine for cats ear

Desertcal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet prescribed those 2 medicines for one of my cats , I keep researching these 2 medicines online and I see some good and bad reviews . Some say there cat went blind or died from the medicines .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Desertcal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet prescribed those 2 medicines for one of my cats , I keep researching these 2 medicines online and I see some good and bad reviews . Some say there cat went blind or died from the medicines .
Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Both are widely used with cats. I had a cat on prednisolone for an extended period of time with no side effects. You will always be able to find the warnings and personal accounts of something that went wrong. Same goes for human medications as well. You are certainly within your rights to discuss your concerns with your vet. Ask how often he has seen side effects, if you should expect any with your cat, and if there are any alternative meds if you remain concerned about the use of these two.

Desertcal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Both are widely used with cats. I had a cat on prednisolone for an extended period of time with no side effects. You will always be able to find the warnings and personal accounts of something that went wrong. Same goes for human medications as well. You are certainly within your rights to discuss your concerns with your vet. Ask how often he has seen side effects, if you should expect any with your cat, and if there are any alternative meds if you remain concerned about the use of these two.
Thank you . I just wanted to make sure they are safe to give her because I don't want nothing to happen . Have a good day

Desertcal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which one helps with ear infection and allergies ?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is always some chance of a reaction to a medicine but it's very low. Take any review online with a grain of salt because you don't know the whole story. There could have been more going on with the pet that the owner is not telling in the review.

Prenisolone is a steroid. It helps with a variety of inflammatory things such as allergies, IBD, asthma, etc. Daily long term use can cause diabetes in some cats but that is easily managed. Short term use can cause diabetes-like symptoms that go away once the steroid is stopped.

Veraflox is antibiotic.

Desertcal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you . The vet showed me how to give my cat prednisolone medicine by mouth last Friday , I brought her home , she had her tongue out a little . I'm still doing research on this medicine . Does anyone know if there's anything else to help her ears get better besides that medicine ? So many good/bad reviews on that . What happens if I'm not here , how will I know she will be o.k . The doctor said don't read about anything on the internet because it's not true .

Which medicine is good for her , Tresaderm or prednisolone ?

Thank you

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on what is going on with the ears. I definitely would not use Tresederm in a cat’s ears or on a cat.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen it cause reactions. Cat ears are super sensitive and they can have neurological problems from different medications. Allergy? That is uncommon for cats. Are you talking the outer ear or inside the ear? Has he been seen by a vet? Sometimes there can be a polyp in the ear that is causing problems. Ear mites are a more common problem in cat ears. The ears are usually very itchy.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry. Just reread your post. So, do you know what diagnostics, tests were done to make the vet say it is allergies? How is the cat's skin?