Is variance in growth rates common in kittens?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
With a suspected constipated kitten it can be helpful to do the following:

Turn on faucet at sink and make sure the water is warm, but not hot.

Hold baby tummy up, placing bottom under a *light/gentle* stream of water.

Gently tap genital area with finger.

It can take several minutes of doing this to get any poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the honey, but it did not help. Her breathing is now shallow and I can only get a response if I rub her lower sides or her butt. She is spread out a few inches from her sleeping siblings and mom is watching nearby while occasionally licking her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has probably aspirated formula into her lungs and has pneumonia. The labored breathing is indicative of this, so yes, she is likely dying. Short of a miracle, or antibiotics, she will die. It is very hard to save a kitten with labored breathing and pneumonia. Just comfort her while she passes, and know you have done your very best. If she makes it through the night, get her to a vet for antibiotics. It's her only chance. I'm so very sorry.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep trying the honey and feeding her drop by drop until she either perks up or doesn't make it.  Assuming she is going to die and stopping care isn't the best option here.  I agree that she should go to the vet in the morning if possible.

I know this is so hard, and I'm sorry.

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she passed away last night. I knew it was coming, but when I went to check on her this morning and found her little cold, stiff body I couldn't take it. I removed her from the other kittens and am planning on bury her. I just feel like I failed. She was so little from the start and mom had began separating her from the litter at two weeks She still fed and cleaned her, but Paris stayed small while everyone grew so fast. I feel like I should have tried keeping her with her mother longer, that me trying to feed her only put the last nail in the coffin. I tired to be so careful and used an eyedropper. When I noticed she was breathing fast I took her into the vet, but he didn't know what to do with her besides gave her a shot of antibiotics and send her home. She became so important to me so fast. Last night the kittens were trying to cuddle with Paris and this morning I found all four kittens in a different location, but the living one only a few inches away. I tried the honey and milk, but she couldn't even swallow last night. Eventually, I just laid her down with mom who cleaned her and kept her close until it was time.

I still have three healthy kittens and a mama cat to care for, but losing Paris hurts so much. When she was healthy, before mom stopped feeding her this week, she loved to play and nuzzle with the other kittens. When I held her she would climb onto my shoulder and cling to my shirt as she laid there. I realize she may have had a birth defect that affected why she didn't gain weight and why mama pushed her away, but I feel like I let the little black kitten down. She kept between 10.3 and 11 oz this entire week and she should have been growing more. Wednesday the kittens turn one week old. I know that if I didn't take Peaches in that all of her kittens probably would have died from the blizzard the day after their birth or from the feral cats or coyotes that roam my neighborhood. It's still hard though. I keep replaying it all in my head from the moment mom gave birth to picking Paris up earlier. 

For now, I am contemplating when to bury Paris. I will probably wrap her body up in the pillowcase that she liked to nuzzle and put her in a box. I'm going to bury her in my backyard where I first met Peaches and when I fed her as she began to trust me. It is under a lilac bush that should bloom anytime now. 

I am going to try to get the kittens to start on wet food in these next few days and finalize homes for when they hit that 8 week mark or later if they are still weaning. I am not sure what to do with mom when this ends. I can't keep her because my resident cat is aggressive and at 12 years old I don't want to stress her out. I could TNR Peaches, but by the time I would be able to she will be house bound for four months.

It is hard losing the little girl that I came to love and feed every two hours, but I want to make sure that her family has a happy life ahead of them. It is something I wanted so badly for Paris.

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the most tragic twist of all, I took Paris's body and wrapped her in the cloth and placed her in her basket. I put the basket off to the side and elevated from everything else while I found a place in my garage to keep her cold until I could dig the hole. I walked back out to grab the basket and found mom took Paris out and brought her back down with the other kittens. She had flipped her body over and was licking and nudging her belly trying to get her to move. She licked Paris's mouth and nose and actually opened up her little mouth. I wrapped the kitten back up and took her away to the garage, but mom is still pacing the area scenting out where Paris last was and calling out trying to find her. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this, though you know in your heart that this little kitten was not fated to live. Sadly we cannot rescue them all, and you are doing a fantastic job with them. Momcat knew it too, despite her efforts to revive Paris. now ycan both give all your attention to the healthy ones. When you feel they are ready to try and eat something, offer them very soupy food mixed woith formula and gently walrmed slightly. But don't panic if they don't all start at once, it can take some time. Many vibes for you all:vibes::vibes:

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I made a little cross for her grave site. This is where it all started with Peaches and where I spent hours feeding and getting to know the cat for six months before she trusted me enough to come inside. On this dirt Peaches was safe from the hot sun, cold breeze, other cats, and had enough food to fill her tummy. When the bushes come in they will envelop this entire area and grass will cover Paris's tiny grave. I'm sad that I couldn't save this little one, but I'll never regret connecting with Peaches or deciding to home her while she raises her remaining kittens.

Thank you everyone through this process. You were all so helpful.

Rip Paris.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Paris. You did great by her.

Kittens drink only mom's milk the first 3-4 weeks, then you can begin trying to feed them soft food. They also continue to nurse. Please keep asking your questions!