Is "Tortitude" real?

kendrab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female "torti" cat. She has some of the characteristics attributed to torties. When I try to get her to get off my chair so I can do work on my computer she hisses and bats at me, for example. Even so she is quite a sweet cat. Does the condition that causes the tortoise shell coloration and the high frequency of the female sex also influence the personality? Do torties have a characteristic personality named "tortitude" or is this just myth?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tortitude and calicotude are real, as far as I can tell. My ladies let me know what they want and if they don't get it, they will throw a fit or go off in a huff. Julie will hiss at me and then come right back and beg again.

I think one reason they have it is the fact they are almost all female. (Bring on the flack, ladies.)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't necessarily believe that there's a personality difference based on color/pattern. I think a lot of it is our own confirmation bias. Female cats are generally less tolerant than (neutered) males and a large percentage of female cats are torties. Correlation does not equal causation, in other words :D.

But, in direct contradiction of what I said before, of course they have tortitude! Admire their fine colors, puny human! :lol3:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of "old wives tales" about cats, even concerning color out there... Tortietude and the Red Gene is just a couple.  However, there is not a scientific basis for any of it.  It just happens to seem like there might be something to it.  I'd never heard of the Red Gene until I added my little tyrant, Tyrion, to my furkid bunch.  He is quite rambunctious and a bit of a well... BRAT!  Then, someone told me "Oh, that's just the Red Gene in him!  My reds are the same way!"

So, there is no scientific basis that says color determines personality... It is just myth. 

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know I had a tortie until I went online after she was 2 years old and found out she was definitely a tortie, in color and attitude. And she loved me in a way that none of my other kitties loved me, and I loved her. We had 3 other cats at the time but if I came out unexpectedly, guess who was up there on the kitchen counter and looked at me like "Just go to bed, I do this all the time---." I still miss her terribly after 2 and a half years. And "myth" doesn't mean "lie."

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a male orange tabby and a female "torby" The male is how you described your torti. If he's on my computer chair and I try to move him he hisses and swats at me. Our female is so laid back it take a lot to get her upset. PIck her up and she turns to jello in your arms and starts purring as soon as you touch her. Our orange tabby is the one with attitude.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't know I had a tortie until I went online after she was 2 years old and found out she was definitely a tortie, in color and attitude. And she loved me in a way that none of my other kitties loved me, and I loved her. We had 3 other cats at the time but if I came out unexpectedly, guess who was up there on the kitchen counter and looked at me like "Just go to bed, I do this all the time---." I still miss her terribly after 2 and a half years. And "myth" doesn't mean "lie."
There is no need to be rude.  I didn't say it was a "lie" just stating it is a myth, and it is, because there is no proof to back it up.  That's all.  You can disagree but it doesn't change it.

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our tortie-loving friends should know that just because there isn't evidence for something (myth) doesn't mean it's not true (lie), so while there may not be evidence for tortitude, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Sorry if you took that as rude.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Lets keep it nice, everyone. 

If people feel that torties behave in a certain way, they're entitled to their opinion, scientific proof notwithstanding.

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tippi doesn't appear to have any tortitude , I keep waiting for a diva moment but she is just a very loving sweet natured cat , maybe the more white they have mixed with tortoiseshell makes them calmer ?

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't even count how many dates I have been on (years ago) when my new date would say something like, "Is it true what they say about red heads" referring to the myth that women with red hair are feisty. Not men with red hair only women.  

Sadly I haven't been on a date in very long time and my hair is not really red anymore

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My torty cat of 45 years ago had tortytude especially aimed at my dad when he mowed the lawn. She'd go up the tree and attack his poor hairless head when he mowed under the tree.
Her name was.....stewball.

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stewball, Your new granddaughter is beautiful. Congratulations! My tortie was very loyal and protective of me. She patted my forehead repeatedly once when I came home from a business trip, as if to say "Don't do that again Mom!" She was a special girl.