Is This Type Of Kneading More Than Just Kneading?

ChanceThePersian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I just adopted a 5 year old neutered male Persian from the local animal shelter and he has a weird kneading behavior that I've never seen before. He uses all four paws, slightly hunches his back and will kick his back feet. Is this just a weird kneading or is it more sexual? I am attaching a video of him doing it.

*please excuse his appearances. He was in rough shape when he was abandoned at the shelter so he honestly looks a lot better than he did!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't look really overtly sexual, although that may play into it in some small way. I'm with M maggiedemi , this looks more like comforting activity, almost an overload of comfort and joy. Given that he was in rough shape, and anthropomorphizing WILDY here, I think he's just saying, "OH GOD! HOME AND LOVE AND ALL THINGS GOOD!"

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Thank you so much for taking this gorgeous guy in, and giving him a loving home, and getting him back to being himself.

As others have said, he doesn't really seem to be acting sexually in the video. At least not to me. I have two cats: one male and one female, and they both knead (or "make biscuits") especially when they're comfortable and happy. Lucy, the female, is very delicate and sweet. She quietly lays down and suckles at her special fleece blanket, and lightly kneads with the pads of her paws in a rhythmic, steady action with her quiet little purr. Mog, the male, is totally different. He is much more agressive-looking when he kneads: biting the blanket hard and jerkily thrusting his front paws forward as he purrs loudly. He sometimes tips himself over, and has to right himself with his back legs, or uses his back legs to steady himself against the pulling. However, he is not thrusting sexually during this time, nor does he have an erection, so I assume he just has a different style of kneading than Lucy does. This is probably the case with your kitty, too. He just gets into it a little more, I guess!

Here is an example:

Mog

IMG_0091.JPG

Lucy
IMG_0361.JPG

However, I have read that neutering a male cat does not stop the sexual desire, but simply stops him from being able to reproduce. Some male cats still exhibit certain behaviors after neutering, but it is generally harmless (so long as he isn't taking it out on an unwilling participant.) You might want to give him his own blanket or pillow, if you feel strongly that this is the case, or you see that the cat has an erection. It isn't a big deal, either way.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't add anything to what has already been posted, but I did want to welcome you to TCS. :wave2:
And say thanks for giving that dear boy a home. :petcat: He's going to be one super handsome cat once he's all healed and healthy. :catlove:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look really overtly sexual, although that may play into it in some small way. I'm with M maggiedemi , this looks more like comforting activity, almost an overload of comfort and joy. Given that he was in rough shape, and anthropomorphizing WILDY here, I think he's just saying, "OH GOD! HOME AND LOVE AND ALL THINGS GOOD!"
I agree. I think he's just happy and comfortable. "I'm a happy boy. I'm a lucky boy. Yay for me!" :hyper:

I think he's already very handsome. Once he's back to health he's going to be stunning. :loveeyes:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm leaning on the non-sexual side, and think he's just a very happy kitty.:happycat:
Humping is not the worst thing though. My cat humps things sometimes when he kneads. And yes he's neutered.....and 18 for goodness sake!!! you would think his sex drive would lower with old age and no nibblets! lol! And although we do discourage this behavior in him when he's cuddling with or next to us (let's face it, it's kinda weird), I'm sure he's molesting his pillow or the couch when we're at work. And he is a very happy and healthy cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some male cats still exhibit certain behaviors after neutering, but it is generally harmless (so long as he isn't taking it out on an unwilling participant.)
This is true...and they can fixate on a single object. My friend, Shannon, had to buy new slippers. Skink "fell in love" with the left slipper of her old pair. JUST the left slipper. At least he was faithful!