Is this true?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Pat
Thank you ... You can see I havent studied up about vacs...
I had to when I was doing my own
But's it has been a bit so was glad I could find the info (I love the internet! a library of books/articles/and catalogs at my fingertips!)

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

My understanding of proper vaccine protocol was to begin at about 8 weeks...just looked up Alix - she had 3 sets of what I call upper resp vaccines (for panleukopenia, rhinotracheitis and calicivirus) at 8, 11 and 15 weeks. Here is a suggested schedule (though for the record, I personally came to believe the felv vaccine was not one I wanted to use and stopped using it years ago):
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=86

Of course they say this is just a guide, and it may be affected both by health of the cat, likelihood of exposure and other factors.
i have looked up the vac schedule for kittens too and obviously she was given everything too early, what im wondering is, is she at risk of being harmed by this? the very earliest a kitten should receive the first set of vacs is 6 weeks and thats only if the mother isnt up to date on vaccines or if the kitten isnt nursing. my kitten was given the first set at just 3 weeks, the 2nd set 2 weeks after that, and the 3rd set 3 weeks after that. im worried if this will affect her long term?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i have looked up the vac schedule for kittens too and obviously she was given everything too early, what im wondering is, is she at risk of being harmed by this? the very earliest a kitten should receive the first set of vacs is 6 weeks and thats only if the mother isnt up to date on vaccines or if the kitten isnt nursing. my kitten was given the first set at just 3 weeks, the 2nd set 2 weeks after that, and the 3rd set 3 weeks after that. im worried if this will affect her long term?
I can't say as I'm not a vet or a vet tech. I think my one concern would be if the early vaccine just wasn't effective, that she be adequately vaccinated for this first year.

You might want to get a second opinion with another vet?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I can't say as I'm not a vet or a vet tech. I think my one concern would be if the early vaccine just wasn't effective, that she be adequately vaccinated for this first year.

You might want to get a second opinion with another vet?
i might.... but as far as vaccination goes, i trust the opinions i get from forums like this one or internet pages over the opinions of vets. ill ask anyway just to see what they say.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i might.... but as far as vaccination goes, i trust the opinions i get from forums like this one or internet pages over the opinions of vets. ill ask anyway just to see what they say.
You need to to find a vet your comfortable with... In my little area I switched four times in three years to find one I like and the animals like... Vets are good for info then you can research but I think you need another vet... One you can trust what they say ...

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You need to to find a vet your comfortable with... In my little area I switched four times in three years to find one I like and the animals like... Vets are good for info then you can research but I think you need another vet... One you can trust what they say ...
when it comes to diet and vaccines, i probably wouldnt trust any vet. i just dont think they even try to educate themselves properly or have an open mind when it comes to these things. if my cat was ill or injured, thats when i would seek a vet. sorry, dont mean to offend anyone. someone suggested giving my kitten thuja. aparently its a vaccine detox. any opinions on this?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

when it comes to diet and vaccines, i probably wouldnt trust any vet. i just dont think they even try to educate themselves properly or have an open mind when it comes to these things. if my cat was ill or injured, thats when i would seek a vet. sorry, dont mean to offend anyone. someone suggested giving my kitten thuja. aparently its a vaccine detox. any opinions on this?
I don't know what part of WA state you are in, but there are some excellent vets in this state, and holistic vets. I'd not give a ***thing*** without consulting a holistic vet - I once listened to a very intelligent, seemingly knew what they were talking about friend tell me to use Ovaban on a cat. Biggest mistake I could have made, it is probably the reason this cat developed pyometra, as that is one of the known possible side effects. Find yourself a vet you can trust, or two - one traditional, one holistic and bring them up to date on the vaccines given etc. to this kitten.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im in kitsap county, if you know of one (a good vet) there.
as far as i can tell, all they care about is $$$$$$$$
just like people doctors.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know of a great practice in Lakewood - about 15 minutes from the Tacoma Narrows bridge..not exactly a help to you! Though I drive over 30 minutes to get to them, they are worth it.

I know there are other WA state members here - perhaps start a new thread with the subject "looking for good vet in WA state"

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i took kya in for a check up today and the vet said he doesnt think she will have any problems from getting all those vaccines so early and suggested that i wait one more week and then bring her in for yet another round of vaccines since the first round may not have taken and of course i said no i will not be doing that and he was fine with it. i like the vet himself ok enough i guess (this is a new one i tried) but the nurse reeked of cigarette smoke and tried to force the thermometer into kyas little butt without putting any lubricant on it so i will not be going back there again. sorry if i pushed the thread way off topic.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If that's all they care about, then why don't I get paid as much as an RN?

Anyways, as far as the "nurse" you seen, smelling of smoke isn't very professional, and taking a temp without any lube is a little unnecessary. If you felt comfortable with the doctor, I would stick with him, just request another staff member next time (or voice your concern to the owner).

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
btw the rabies vaccine manufactured by Meria also has no difference between the one year and three year. its just however often the state law thinks it should be administered.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The PureVax feline vaccine is only labeled for annual administration.