Is this the end?

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did your vet not offer you the transdermal prozac or elavil? A compounding pharmacy made it for my cat and I just rubbed it on the skin of his inner ears. Sadly, it made no difference whatsoever.

I know the stage you are in. It took me years before I was ready and honestly, I wasn't truly ready until the day before we actually did it. Take your time, keep exploring all the options you can and listen to your heart. I'm sorry you are going through this, as I know how utterly stressful it is.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've just scanned this thread so I may have missed it, but for the vomiting problem, have you tried raising the bowls? My Teddy had crazy, constant vomiting problems, and once we elevated the bowls a little (mine are on small boxes a few inches from the ground), all the vomiting problems stopped.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Amy,

I had a cat with a peeing issue (not spraying) and it took a long time to get him to stop. I'll tell you what we did, and what I think might help for you.

Be SURE you've ruled out a Urinary infection. Just be sure.

I know you say he doesn't pee in the same places, but think about where he pees most often and make sure he can't get there. In other words, if it's in a closet ALWAYS close the door. If it's in the bathroom, always lock it off. If it's in your laundry never leave it out. I know it could be difficult especially if you're apartment is small, but consider it better than him peeing everywhere.

Wherever he's liked to pee in the past that you can't lock off, like if it's in certain corners of a room, behind certain furniture... go out and get that clear plastic runner stuff that they use to protect hallways and new carpet. It has spikey plastic nubs on the back. Put it upside down, nubs up, in those areas behind the furniture, in the corners, under the bed.

Buy him a new little box. His own. A big one, without a hood. Even if you have to put it smack in the middle of your apartment, remember, better than him peeing anywhere else! Get Cat Attract Little and mix some with clumping style litter. You won't keep the other cat out of it, but having two will help keep them clean.

Clean both litter boxes every day, twice a day. Keep them as clean as you can.

Get the Feliway spray. Consider the prozac but keep in mind that you might want to wait on that and see if the behavioral stuff helps first. Prozac could introduce new symptoms/side effects.

When you leave and come home pet him, reassure him and sit with him a while (if he'll let you). Talk to him. Give him a cat treat (anti-hairball type). Play with him for 1/2 and hour every day.

We did all of the above (without Prozac). I think what worked the best was the plastic runner stuff, but all of it made a difference. I didn't even have to put it nubby side up... just the plastic alone was deterent enough and broke the long-ingrained (years) habit. Our new carpet didn't get ruined

You are so in my thoughts. I know how frustrating and upsetting it can be, both for you AND the cat! If you do end up having to euthanize or rehome him, I know you'll be doing what is best for you, him and your family. You do not have an easy road ahead, and my heart goes out to you.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shambelle

I've just scanned this thread so I may have missed it, but for the vomiting problem, have you tried raising the bowls? My Teddy had crazy, constant vomiting problems, and once we elevated the bowls a little (mine are on small boxes a few inches from the ground), all the vomiting problems stopped.
One of my cats was vomiting quite frequently after eating and as soon as I raised the food bowl about an inch the problem stopped completely.

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel for you! And you are a good person for trying to deal with this.

One of my cats was peeing inappropriately. He was treated for crystals but kept peeing. I got so frustrated I boarded him at the vet's for a month while I grappled with whether to euthanize him. (I say "kept peeing" as though it was a small aggravation but believe me, he wrecked a lot of stuff. One day I took a sandwich out of my purse to put in the office refrig and it was dripping with pee!). I brought him home, confined him, and he was fine . . . then it started up again. No crystals this time. After another one month "vacation" at the vet's he was put on Prozac. He has been home for 6 months and no pee problems.

Could you board him for awhile? He would be caged an "have" to use the box.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One other litter idea. If the clumping litter doesn't work after a couple months, try one of the corn-based litters. I use Arm and Hammer High Performance. WBCL is good, too. The corn-based litters are very lightweight and soft. If this is a declaw problem, it might feel better on his feet. My declawed cat loves to dig in the stuff. (It's also biodegradable and flushable!)

Just curious, aren't there rules about the management coming in to your apartment? I would just put in another box, move it, whatever. Then I'd move it back before they came over. Most states have rules about landlords coming without a 24 hour notice, unless it's an emergency (like flooding or fire). Besides, if I was a landlord, I'd rather have a clean apartment with multiple litter boxes than a pee-stained one.

minuets_mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These folks have excellent prices on Feliway, I have 4 difusers and it makes a huge difference. Have you thought of a large crate for the time you are not home?

www.valleyvet.com