Is this tapeworms? Cat not displaying any signs other than 1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey Solomonar, I dont live on campus, I live in a private apartment off campus. That being said, where I live, there are a lot of fereal cats sadly, and I work and see thousands of students (especially cause i am a supervisor) and it is very likely something could have passed on to me at work. Otherwise, I keep my boy STRICTLY inside for his own safety and health (hence hwy I was super shocked with tapeworm) 

So far this morning, I have no seen any segments. But, he woffed down his food with the meds yesterday, but now he is not wanting it. I spoon fed him to get some in before he went to another can of cat food I put out (to see if it was meds or appitite) and he ate that completely. Any tips on how to get a powder down a cat? I have pills on the way, so I sadly am knowing I am going to have to pill him. 

Otherwise, nothing else has changed. Activity, weight, bathroom use etc is still very normal. Gums are still pink, no pot belly ,etc. 

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

hey Solomonar, I dont live on campus, I live in a private apartment off campus. That being said, where I live, there are a lot of fereal cats sadly, and I work and see thousands of students (especially cause i am a supervisor) and it is very likely something could have passed on to me at work. Otherwise, I keep my boy STRICTLY inside for his own safety and health (hence hwy I was super shocked with tapeworm) 

So far this morning, I have no seen any segments. But, he woffed down his food with the meds yesterday, but now he is not wanting it. I spoon fed him to get some in before he went to another can of cat food I put out (to see if it was meds or appitite) and he ate that completely. Any tips on how to get a powder down a cat? I have pills on the way, so I sadly am knowing I am going to have to pill him. 

Otherwise, nothing else has changed. Activity, weight, bathroom use etc is still very normal. Gums are still pink, no pot belly ,etc. 
Cat's worms (if any) can be easily removed by the medicine the vet prescribes. Only he/she is in the position to tell you what to do and confirm/infirm worm presence.

I would be more concerned about You, as a source of further contamination. The vet cant do much in this respect. Perhaps digging the net about methods of de-contamination in such cases may be useful.   

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapeworms are caused from fleas, but spread through fecal ingestion, when a cat cleans their paws from the litterbox, I seriously doubt you have been snacking on cat poop anytime lately..........

Segments are not always in the poop either, they shed in cycles.

Get a 1.0 ml needle-less syringe, put the powder or crushed pill in a very small cup, draw up a small amt of warm water in the syringe itself so you know the amt you will be syringing him, squirt it in to the powder, swish it around then draw it up in to the syringe for dosing. As far back in the throat as possible so he doesn't have to taste it.

MUCH easier than pilling.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Tapeworms are caused from fleas, but spread through fecal ingestion, when a cat cleans their paws from the litterbox, I seriously doubt you have been snacking on cat poop anytime lately..........

Segments are not always in the poop either, they shed in cycles.

Get a 1.0 ml needle-less syringe, put the powder or crushed pill in a very small cup, draw up a small amt of warm water in the syringe itself so you know the amt you will be syringing him, squirt it in to the powder, swish it around then draw it up in to the syringe for dosing. As far back in the throat as possible so he doesn't have to taste it.

MUCH easier than pilling.
Awesome! I am going to use that method catwoman707

As for an upadte as well, I came home, and looked at his bedding, etc and butt and there are no segments to be found. Still going to finish out the meds of course but it seems like a good sign. It said to take between 24-48 hours to work, so unless he has been a through groomer, beyond through groomer, then I think they may be going away. Still keeping an eye but it seems likea good sign. Fingers crossed. When the segments were coming I would spot them several times a day throughout hte day. I checked on him between my shifts at work, and no segmints on him or where he likes to go as well 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Awesome! I am going to use that method catwoman707

As for an upadte as well, I came home, and looked at his bedding, etc and butt and there are no segments to be found. Still going to finish out the meds of course but it seems like a good sign. It said to take between 24-48 hours to work, so unless he has been a through groomer, beyond through groomer, then I think they may be going away. Still keeping an eye but it seems likea good sign. Fingers crossed. When the segments were coming I would spot them several times a day throughout hte day. I checked on him between my shifts at work, and no segmints on him or where he likes to go as well 
So what exactly is the med you are giving him for treatment?

Name, ingredients?

Store bought?

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Store bought, fenbendazole granulates. 

Another update... I found the worm pooped out. Really long thing, at least 6 inches (EW). I defently think its working XD 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Store bought, fenbendazole granulates. 

Another update... I found the worm pooped out. Really long thing, at least 6 inches (EW). I defently think its working XD 
Fenbendazole will kill some tapeworms, but the most common tapeworm it does not work on, and must have praziquantel to kill it.

But if you saw a worm, then shoot, who knows maybe your kitty had an off type of tapeworm, lucky you! lol

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right? Its lucky but trust me, this was a worm. It was very visible and obvious to see. And I looked up an image on google to verify and its  a dead tapeworm. The type that the fenbendazole kills are the ones that are typically found in dogs and sometimes cats from rodents, bunnys etc not fleas. When I talked to vet on the phone, they said, since hes an indoor cat its likely I could have stepped in something such as fecal matter from a dog or outdoor cat that had it, brought it in, and my cat being the 9 month old curious boy that he is, ate it. Either way, its morning nad no residule segments again. I gave him his third and final treatment today (in tuna juice, this time he ate it hahahaha) and so far so good. I have to monitor him, now and de worm in a few weeks again to just be safe. 

I also am isolating my shoes and putting them in my closest and closing the door always now. Just to be safe. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Right? Its lucky but trust me, this was a worm. It was very visible and obvious to see. And I looked up an image on google to verify and its  a dead tapeworm. The type that the fenbendazole kills are the ones that are typically found in dogs and sometimes cats from rodents, bunnys etc not fleas. When I talked to vet on the phone, they said, since hes an indoor cat its likely I could have stepped in something such as fecal matter from a dog or outdoor cat that had it, brought it in, and my cat being the 9 month old curious boy that he is, ate it. Either way, its morning nad no residule segments again. I gave him his third and final treatment today (in tuna juice, this time he ate it hahahaha) and so far so good. I have to monitor him, now and de worm in a few weeks again to just be safe. 

I also am isolating my shoes and putting them in my closest and closing the door always now. Just to be safe. 
Oh I believe you!

Tuna juice is a lifesaver huh?! Gotta love it!

It sounds like that problem is under control, excellent.

I'd advise not more than 2 weeks for the follow up dose. 

Last edited:

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another day no worms.

He's been hyper, like per usual and also drinking plenty of water.

The only hange I have noticed is a slight decrease in appetites I read that it can happen right after de working because of what's going on to kill said worm. Yesterday he ate the majority of his first can of tuna (a treat since he's had to takes medicine) and yesterday he only ate salmon flavored wet food from my hand. He ate most of it and yesterday when I changed his box there was number 1 and 2. also last night he ate treats perfectly fine.

Is this just him being picky or do I need to be worried? His gums are pink, he's acting perfectly healthy and hyper and loving and showing no change in behavior.

I also have been dealing with a very bad chest and head cold and been coughing and been acting sick cause I am during this. Could this be possible stressing him out too?

Like I said he's defently ate just not as much as he had been; which I know could be nothing serious as he's had medicine, he's nearing young adult good and he hasn't had any change in behavior or anything. He also is drinking normal amounts of water as well

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds perfectly fine to me. The deworming medicine could cause a little nausea, causing him to eat less. I wouldn't worry about it for now. His appetite will probably come back after the meds wear off.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He sounds perfectly fine to me. The deworming medicine could cause a little nausea, causing him to eat less. I wouldn't worry about it for now. His appetite will probably come back after the meds wear off.
Do we know how long that typically takes for the meds to leave the system? He ate a good bit of his dry food yesterday and a good portion of his wet food. Being a little picky with his wet food again this morning. 

He also had a bit of diarheea which I know is common with dewormers. I gave hima little bit of yogurt cause that has helped in the past

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hey Guys

I was laying down with my cat, and I noticed some white, squishy stuff that looked like hardened snot or something on my cats butt. it was cold/cool to the touch. 

He has been eating normally, playing normally, drinking normally, I looked at his stool after he just went and saw nothing in there. (And i really looked ugh) 

Is this tapeworms or something else? He has had no weight loss either

Indoor cat, by himself. Doesn't go outside at all. I have had no mice at my apartment nad no fleas from what i can tell. 

Any ideas? 
Did it look like white rice?   Alive and moving or dead but not yet shrivelled up, tape worms look disgustingly like white rice, which you may never eat again.  Dead or alive, they tend to fall off though, not stick to the fur.

If your cat was badly frightened it might be anal gland expresssion.  For some reason this is often white in colour when expressed in fear.  Adn it will stick to fur.  It smells really strongly when fresh.  I could not find this when googling, to show you, but one of our cats seemed to do this voluntarily when a bit frightened.  Like at the Vet's or being picked up by a strange person.  It was always white and our Vet and techs recognized it right away.  

Oh.  You have identified t as a tape worrm.  Oh well, I will leave this in case it interests anyone else, or you too.