Is this stitching infected?

h Orwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my 2 year old cat had his back leg amputated, he's nearly at the point were I was told I could take his cone off but his stitching just looks weird and I can't help but be concerned, has it gotten infected??

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a dog with a front leg amputation; however, front and rear leg amputations are done differently and do not have the same appearance.

I am concerned about a few things. The stitches are still in place and if there is any itching it will cause biting or chewing in an attempt to stop it. The incision itself looks puffy and swollen, at least from my point of view. Is there any discharge or odor?

Wherever you are (and you don't have to tell us your location), this is a major surgery and you paid a decent amount for it. I would not hesitate to call the vet and at least send the pics. If you feel that a visit is better and it is possible (assuming that you did not have to travel a huge distance for the surgery), I would call and ask to come in for a follow up which should be included with this kind of procedure.

How is your cat overall? Eating, using the litter box, not in any clear discomfort?

Animals recover very well from rear end amputations and return to a very normal life once they heal. A rear leg only carries about 20% of the body weight, so the loss is not as substantial as a front leg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h Orwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told the stitches were dissolvable, I'll attach the photos as comparison but there's been a small amount of discharge although not alot. He's using the litter box alright and been eating normally. He does whine when he stretches but afterwards he seems fine. I'm unable to take him to the vet but I'll still be trying to ring in the morning.

Here are the before and after photos:
First day home-
1000007268.jpg

Today-
1000007405.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There does seem to be improvement between the two pictures, but I would still call the vet and give them a very thorough update. The whining is because the stitches are pulling. I would still keep an eye on any level of discomfort that he has though. Send the pictures to the vet as well. Is he on any kind of medication at this point?