Is This Something To Be Concerned About?

ThePortMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used tea tree oil on my hands for dry skin, and it had been maybe 10 minutes or so since I had put it on and rubbed it in. Around then, there was a slight residue. My hands weren't soaked with it or anything since I simply used a few little drops and rubbed it into my hands. There was not a whole lot on them in the first place, and I had rubbed it in and much of it had dried off anyways.

Then, after around 10 minutes had passed (thus much of the oil dried at that point aside from the small amount of residue), I pet the top of my cat's head. All that was on there was, like I said simply a little bit of residue of the oil. Would this be a concern? It wasn't even like I accidentally got a drop of it on him or anything like that, all that was on my hand was merely residue of it. However, I know that you're not supposed to use it on cats which led me to ask if this is something to be seriously concerned about.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to be *seriously* concerned about it, but definitely just be more cognizant in the future to prevent the oil from getting on the cat (we have all done things we shouldn't have regarding the cats, lol!). Since it sounds like not a lot got on (not enough to seep through to the skin) and he can't lick it off the top of his head, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Definitely watch him for any sort of behavioral changes that would warrant a vet visit, but in my unprofessional opinion, he should be ok. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was the concentration of what you are using for hands even 100%? If not, that lessens the odds of it having any negative effect on your cat.

Minor symptoms like drooling or vomiting may be found with mild doses - which sounds like more than what you might have even come close to getting on your cat. I gather you are not even seeing anything like this, correct? I think you are in the clear.

Should it happen again, know this: you can decontaminate the skin with a mild dish soap and water to wash the area.