Is this shelter warm enough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muffin's appetite is unchanged (he's a very big boy, lol). My concern is that he's too big (I don't want him to become diabetic), and I may transition him to weight management food after this cold spell. He comes out of his house to eat later in the morning when it's bitter cold, then in the late afternoon, and again in the evening. Then he'll go from evening to late morning without leaving his shelter when it's bitter cold.  I leave dry food out during the daylight hours. He drinks a lot of water, but only if there's some wet food in the bowl, too. I keep an eye out for him on the porch and only give him his wet food when he's out eating his dry food, so his wet food is always warm. Usually he'll come out if there's any sunlight at all, even if it's -2 degrees, to sit on the porch a while and run around and stretch his legs.

I wouldn't worry about the cats not leaving their shelters to defecate and urinate. Cats can hold it in for 24 hours or even longer. When they have to go, they'll leave their shelters and go. What might be helpful for cats who aren't eating or drinking much in this weather is to give them some chicken breast in heated broth when they appear. They can hardly resist eating and drinking that!

It's snowing, windy, and single digit temperatures this week, and next Monday and Tuesday it will be -12 (not factoring in the wind chill factor). So far Muffin is hanging in there. I did open my front door last nite while holding his son, Harry, and invited him in. If a cat could roll his eyes, Muffin would do it. Oh well.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had some leftover chicken yesterday and took out my Magic Bullet and added some low sodium chicken broth to the cut up chicken.  I blended it smooth so it was like baby food consistency.  The cats gobbled it up.  This morning, they ate their wet food as well as some more chicken mush and they have been eating dry food too.  Their new shelter is keeping them warm enough so their appetite seems better.  This morning it was 4 with a windchill of -10.  It is only to reach 7 today and the winds are gusty today.  I keep looking ahead at the 10 day forecast and it is depressing to watch.  My guess is this won't be the last cold snap.

I would let Muffin eat as much as he wants during the winter.  You can give him less or the low cal food in the spring/summer.   They need all the calories they can get to keep warm.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look how fat he is, lol. My only comfort is that when he's walking around and elongated, he stretches out and there's no belly hanging down. Muffin really has turned into a muffin.

I think it's a good idea to spoil the cats with chicken and broth, especially in the cold weather. I also sometimes mix tuna and tuna water into his canned food. It's so important for them to remain hydrated!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet little face!  I agree with Laurie - they need all the calories they can get in this weather.  The tuna is a good idea.  I never fed any of my cats fish because we can't stand the stinky poos.  For the outside cats, that might not matter as much, so I'll try it.

Laurie, I may use that idea for pureed chicken.  Mine have stopped eating the cut-up chicken, so that might help!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that too much tuna isn't good for cats because it can deplete their red blood cells and cause anemia, so I'm pretty caring about how often I serve it. I often mix the tuna water from the can with some tap water and cats really enjoy drinking that, and I can't imagine drinking it would be harmful to them.  Ok, since you said he has a cute face, I have to post another pic of him.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys you gave me such great

ideas on feed my Bella. Thank you so much. I am so happy I have such great information on warm shelters and feeding them tasty food. I am sitting out on my deck with Bella now. The sun is nice and warm . Sittin here with my little dog who is as big as muffin. The 3 of us are sitting in the sun. Muffin is beautiful . Enjoy the sunny day.