Is this ringworm???

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this scabbed area in the back of my cat's head. Its about the size of my thumbnail. There is no wound on the skin. She doesn't scratch at the sore and it's s not painful. She's a 7 year old Maine Coon that lives indoor only with 3 other cats who all get along and are all on flea meds.

Several months ago, when I began treating her for EPI, she began occasionally scratching at the front of her neck/throat area, causing hair loss. She doesn't scratch anywhere else and there isnt any redness on her neck. For the EPI she gets powdered cow pancreas and weekly B12 shots. The EPI symptoms have resolved. But now suddenly this scabbed area appeared.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If you think that it's ringworm, are there an OTC anti-fungal cream I can treat her with until I can get to the vet? Thanks everyone!

View attachment 454447View attachment 454447 20230713_174610.jpg 20230713_174610.jpg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P Pawsings Unfortunately I don't have an answer to weather or not I think that it is or isn't ringworm. I've never had to deal with ringworm (knock on wood) but I did find the information attached in the picture.
If you find out it is indeed ringworm please consult your vet to make sure this is an appropriate course of action until you can get her in to see them.
Make sure the things listed are OK to use on your fur baby and will not cause any harm to her.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's really impossible to diagnose ringworm from a picture. But if none of your other cats (or you) are effected, it's probably not, since it is contagious. You said this is not an open wound? It looks raw to me, but you think it's already in scab "mode"? If so, then there isn't any need to clean it up, but if it's not really a scab yet, then you should try to keep it clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P Pawsings Unfortunately I don't have an answer to weather or not I think that it is or isn't ringworm. I've never had to deal with ringworm (knock on wood) but I did find the information attached in the picture.
If you find out it is indeed ringworm please consult your vet to make sure this is an appropriate course of action until you can get her in to see them.
Make sure the things listed are OK to use on your fur baby and will not cause any harm to her.
Thank you Heather!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really impossible to diagnose ringworm from a picture. But if none of your other cats (or you) are effected, it's probably not, since it is contagious. You said this is not an open wound? It looks raw to me, but you think it's already in scab "mode"? If so, then there isn't any need to clean it up, but if it's not really a scab yet, then you should try to keep it clean.
Thank you Mrs Green Jeens!

travel dude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet stated to use a black light. Ringworm will floures (?) . Treat with over the counter anti fungal.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m sorry, I didn’t read the replies, so if I am repeating what has been said, I apologize.

Unfortunately, there is no one particular look to feline ringworm. I can say it doesn’t look like it to me, but it can honestly look like anything.

I do have to wonder if your cat is or has developed an allergy to one of the protein sources being fed. I am not suggesting that you change diet or anything you are doing if the EPI is under control because that could spell disaster. What I do strongly suggest is that you send the picture to your vet and discuss this with them.

Management of a cat with EPI is a delicate balancing act, that you dont want to mess with unless directed by your Vet.

Of course the obvious first thing to do is to make sure there are no fleas. So flea comb everyone. Good luck with a Maine Coon. You can also put a white sheet or towel in frequented sleeping areas and look for flea dirt. Flea dirt is flea dropping which are brown to black specks and occasional tiny C shapes.