Is this really necessary??? How much fatter can we get?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

AHHH, Yes, OLESTRA! I remember when the "fat free" potatoe chips came out in the 90s. It didn't make you fat b/c it was a laxative! It says it on the bag, if you ever find a bag of Olestra WOW chips, says in little writing on the back, "May cause Anal Leakage"?!?!?!?!?
OMG, that's so disgusting! I will remember that next time I'm tempted to eat something I know is bad for me.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sauage and Choc. just sound gross together and the WOW chips GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The people making this stuff should be forced to eat it

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound gross, but they wouldnt put it on the market if it didnt taste good.
I have a friend here in germany who dips bratwurst in nutella and i find that revolting!

Something caught my eye at the supermarket today, its imported from america...

Cheddar Cheese sauce?
what do you use this on/with?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww...Nutella and brats? Chocolate (or Hazelnut) just should not ever touch certain things....

Cheddar Cheese sauce? You can mix it with Salsa for Con Queso dip (Tortilla Chips). You can also use it to make Mac & Cheese with or add chili and Cheddar Cheese Sauce to a hot dog (or brat) and have a Coney Dog on us.

Personally though I stay away from the Cheese Sauce. I might as well have a tub of lard to dip my chips in.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have high cholesterol and am trying to lose 10 pounds and eat healthier so my cholesterol number will drop so that really is the last thing I need. What is Jimmy Dean trying to do, kill people?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

It does sound gross, but they wouldnt put it on the market if it didnt taste good.
This is interesting... The few times I've tried these kinds of foods, they taste terrible, like chemicals, and not at all like real food. I think most people are used to processed foods, though. It's a real shame especially for kids, and this is marketed towards kids. Their sense of taste goes askew, and this kind of crap tastes O.K. before they can learn to like foods that nourish their bodies and keep them healthy. What a mess.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I found this on the web.

Jimmy Dean Pancakes and Sausage on a Stick

Cost: $5.98/14 servings
Prep: 60 seconds in microwave
Fat: 12 grams (4 grams saturated/ 0 grams trans fat)
Calories: 210
Marketing: "A pancake breakfast in a minute!"

Evans' reality check: "The first three ingredients (enriched bleached flour, water and sugar) are terrible. It only has 5 grams of protein, and that is a terrible way to get protein."

Alternative: Make a whole grain pancake (or Kashi frozen waffle) and wrap it around a veggie or low-fat turkey sausage.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

This is interesting... The few times I've tried these kinds of foods, they taste terrible, like chemicals, and not at all like real food. I think most people are used to processed foods, though. It's a real shame especially for kids, and this is marketed towards kids. Their sense of taste goes askew, and this kind of crap tastes O.K. before they can learn to like foods that nourish their bodies and keep them healthy. What a mess.
I see your point, personally because i have been brought up with proper foods i dont like alot of the frozen quick stuff!
But i do know alot of people who absolutely love ravioli out of a can... thats just a example.

I just think that alot of parents shouldnt be so lazy to cook.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. I found this on the web.

Jimmy Dean Pancakes and Sausage on a Stick

Cost: $5.98/14 servings
Prep: 60 seconds in microwave
Fat: 12 grams (4 grams saturated/ 0 grams trans fat)
Calories: 210
Marketing: "A pancake breakfast in a minute!"

Evans' reality check: "The first three ingredients (enriched bleached flour, water and sugar) are terrible. It only has 5 grams of protein, and that is a terrible way to get protein."

Alternative: Make a whole grain pancake (or Kashi frozen waffle) and wrap it around a veggie or low-fat turkey sausage.
I agree that people eat so much processed crap nowadays that they don't know what real food tastes like.

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I just think that alot of parents shouldnt be so lazy to cook.
I don't know, I think that's kind of unfair. You know, it's not always so easy when you have two working parents. But there are alternatives to this kind of convenience food that are just as quick and much healthier--I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd much rather give them a bowl of Cheerios and a banana than one of these things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

I don't know, I think that's kind of unfair. You know, it's not always so easy when you have two working parents. But there are alternatives to this kind of convenience food that are just as quick and much healthier--I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd much rather give them a bowl of Cheerios and a banana than one of these things.
IMO, parents should take care of their kids, that is their responsibility. Just because parents are busy does not mean the kids should suffer. Especially feeding them this junk. And why are these manufacturers putting out this "convenient" junk anyway and make them so cheap and healthy food so expensive?!
Can they make something convenient and healthy?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

IMO, parents should take care of their kids, that is their responsibility. Just because parents are busy does not mean the kids should suffer. Especially feeding them this junk. And why are these manufacturers putting out this "convenient" junk anyway and make them so cheap and healthy food so expensive?!
Can they make something convenient and healthy?
DH and I have been on a Whole Food diet for almost three years, and it can be really difficult at times. Here are some things that we've found that work for us:

1. When you buy food do all the preparation work when you get home from the grocery store. Make this part of your shopping ritual and it will soon become second nature.

2. Get a good basic cook book. Most of the recipes can be converted by little or no effort by switching out most of the ingredients with healthier alternatives.

3. Get everyone in the home involved in the cooking process. Not only did my husband and I learning to cook save our marriage, but it opened up the lines of communication. Leaning over a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce is a wonderful time to ask your child about his or her new boyfriend or girlfriend.

4. Have fun with it! Eating healthy doesn't have to mean that everything tastes bland it means that you get to have an adventure. Have you ever tried turmeric? No? Well find a recipe and see how it tastes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

DH and I have been on a Whole Food diet for almost three years, and it can be really difficult at times. Here are some things that we've found that work for us:

1. When you buy food do all the preparation work when you get home from the grocery store. Make this part of your shopping ritual and it will soon become second nature.

2. Get a good basic cook book. Most of the recipes can be converted by little or no effort by switching out most of the ingredients with healthier alternatives.

3. Get everyone in the home involved in the cooking process. Not only did my husband and I learning to cook save our marriage, but it opened up the lines of communication. Leaning over a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce is a wonderful time to ask your child about his or her new boyfriend or girlfriend.

4. Have fun with it! Eating healthy doesn't have to mean that everything tastes bland it means that you get to have an adventure. Have you ever tried turmeric? No? Well find a recipe and see how it tastes!
I agree with you. We get everyone involved, Stewie and Rupert, they love to help.
. We also love cooking. We prepare food for the whole week and it is very easy to cook that way and fast. Also, healthy food does not taste bland, just how you prepare it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know if it was you or the Evans suggesting this, but you kind of have to be careful with Kashi, some of their stuff, such as they're frozen waffles can have a higher grade of sugar than necessary.
Just one thing I recently learned.

Lookingglass - I totally agree how difficult it is to find better foods. with B being diabetic, I'm constantly having to watch what goes into the food cart. Suddently Frosted Flakes as a snack is out of the question. When you concentrate on sugar and carbs, and finding lower to non existant quick and easy meals is almost gone.
Here's a challenge - go to the grocery sometime and come back with a bunch of low-carb or no-carb snacks that do not need to be cooked or waited long for in the microwave. Find anything other than Beef Jerky? That's right...even the Aktins stuff didn't work because half the time the total carbs were more than the regular style of the food.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Here's a challenge - go to the grocery sometime and come back with a bunch of low-carb or no-carb snacks that do not need to be cooked or waited long for in the microwave. Find anything other than Beef Jerky? That's right...even the Aktins stuff didn't work because half the time the total carbs were more than the regular style of the food.
Carrot sticks (any veggie really), cut up green peppers, etc

Can of tuna (if you like tuna)

Deli lunchmeat and cheese

Give me time, I'll think of some more.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrots and more so baby carrots are high in sugar. Corn, peas are high in sugar.

I guess through in there that you're shopping for the pickiest eater on the planet. He likes tuna, but doesn't eat it without Mayo...but I don't make the tuna and mayo right and he's too lazy to do it himself.

the deli trays are the only ones (with cheez) that I can come up with, but they're like $10 and up.