Is this playfighting or something more serious?

vertices

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

So I adopted a kitten 3 weeks ago (12 weeks now) and having read about "Single Kitten Syndrome", I decided to get a second kitten (9 weeks now) who has been with us for two days.

Both kittens have the gym room to themselves but it's quite 'catified' - nice cat tree, toys, water fountain, etc. This is where they spend much of their day.

I have noticed that they always tend to fight. I have read that playfighting is perfectly normal kitten behaviour but it seems very aggressive to me.

Can forum members please review the video and let me know what you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vertices

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My apologies - here are the links to the videos:

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely playing. Ears are forward all signs point to them being buddies.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to watch your videos but keep getting error messages. Do you have a link to them on YouTube?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally two kitten friends playing and nothing to be concerned about. It is actually quite gentle and will get rougher and louder over time I am sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vertices

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for reassuring me! So they're not crossing a line if they bite each other?

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Biting is a normal part of cat play. Kittens this young will play rough. The play may get louder and more rough, but it's still play. You will hear hissing, growling, etc on occasion as well. Just one cat communicating their boundaries to the other.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reassuring me! So they're not crossing a line if they bite each other?
No they are doing fine.. they are learning from warh other how to wrestle/"fight" through play.. yes someone might get a little too rough here and there but that's ok.. swatting biting hissing for kittens I've seen them puff up at each other.. not to fight but because the figured out how to do it lol it was a few kittens standing in a room all looking at each other like puffed up Halloween kitties lol..
Usually if they were with mom she would be doing the same thing to them to teach them.. she would bite slap hiss etc.. it's just part of their learning and communication.