Is this painful?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The earliest I can get my cat in at his regular vet is one week from now and his lip looks like this. He’s still very active and eating and drinking but I’m not sure if I should bring him somewhere else to be seen sooner. Looking at his face is making me feel so bad, I really don’t want him to be in pain.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what happened? Is he drinking or eating from plastic bowls or dishes, if so change them to glass or stainless steel. Many cats are allergic to plastic. As long as he is active and eating and drinking I think you could wait. If it gets worse of course get him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know what happened? Is he drinking or eating from plastic bowls or dishes, if so change them to glass or stainless steel. Many cats are allergic to plastic. As long as he is active and eating and drinking I think you could wait. If it gets worse of course get him in.
His bowls are all ceramic are metal, he does have a plastic water fountain though. It just happened over the weekend I was thinking that it was an allergy to something but I always over react in my head and start to scare myself thinking it’s something serious.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Watch him carefully and use your intuition and gut reaction if you think that something is wrong. If he continues to be his normal self, you can probably wait for the appointment. Can you touch the lip and does he react in pain?

I am going to second glass or stainless steel only for dishes. Ceramic dishes can contain lead in the glaze, including vintage high end brands, not only the brightly painted ones that are often imported.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Watch him carefully and use your intuition and gut reaction if you think that something is wrong. If he continues to be his normal self, you can probably wait for the appointment. Can you touch the lip and does he react in pain?

I am going to second glass or stainless steel only for dishes. Ceramic dishes can contain lead in the glaze, including vintage high end brands, not only the brightly painted ones that are often imported.
He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it at all, I just get nervous because I always hear that cats are good at hiding their pain. I’ll definitely make sure to get metal and glass to replace his water fountain and his ceramic bowls.