Is this okay?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece was colicky and she was about 3 months old when we finally got it to ease and we had to get her gas drops and when my sister was holding her she had to let her lay on her belly while in her arms as well and we also held her where she layed her head on our shoulder. A friend of mine had problems with her son being colicky and the gas drops didn't work and she tried what her granny told her to do. She mashed up some peppermint into like a powder consistancy and put it in his milk and that helped. I hope her situation gets better soon. I have a friend who has four kids under the age of 4 well 4 and down and I go get her and take her out once in a while and try and get our other friend to watch the kids so she can get out for a bit.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The foam earplugs are great. I wouldn't say anything about it to the neighbors unless they brought it up, like "I hope the babies crying doesn't bother you". They might be resentful if you bring it up, and they will be there for a while, I presume, and the kid will stop crying eventually, so rather than have bad feelings, I would get the earplugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the baby is 2 months right now, so I think that it may be leveling off shortly. I hope.

She just seems so tired. I don't think she's had a good night sleep in the two months since the baby has been born. She turned down my offer to baby sit though, because her Mom is going to look after him on Sunday so she can sleep.

I just met her husband, and he looks just as tired as she does.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Well the baby is 2 months right now, so I think that it may be leveling off shortly. I hope.

She just seems so tired. I don't think she's had a good night sleep in the two months since the baby has been born. She turned down my offer to baby sit though, because her Mom is going to look after him on Sunday so she can sleep.

I just met her husband, and he looks just as tired as she does.
Oh those poor things.
Even just talking to her should help. Gosh, I had my first at 29 and I was overwhelmed - I can't imagine 19.
You should tell us what the doctor tells her.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing as a neighbor by making small talk and offering food. I'm sure she is frazzled and just needs a break as well. I'm sorry you haven't been able to have a good nights sleep. Definitely try ear plugs and some soothing music (I have an ocean cd I listen to when my neighbors play their music too loud. That usually helps a bit
). Also, if the foam earplugs don't work for you (they don't phase me at all
) you can make an appointment with an ENT and have personalized ear plugs made. Those are the best!!!! They can make them virtually waterproof & soundproof.- I had a set made after my ear surgery last year and they are simply wonderful.(they're not too cheap, but they were a necessity at the time). You sound like such a wonderful neighbor. I hope the little one is able to sleep through the night soon and his colic eases up (if it doesn't, I would suggest gently talking to her about the baby possibly having pediactric GERD (acid refulx)...in children, it often goes away over time....but many times, GERD is misdiagnosed as colic. It is not serious, but can result in severe gas, frequent spitting up- more than normal (you might need to fill her in on what is normal since this is her 1st baby and she might not know yet
)., also, frequent crying, restlessness, and a frequent upset tummy. Many times, the doctors will prescribe a liquid medication to be given to the baby daily with a dropper. It works wonders!!!! (the OTC gas drops will not relieve the symptoms if the baby has GERD...it will only work on gas....not reflux and accompanying issues.) Good luck sweetie! I hope everything turns out ok.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you imagine if Heather had completely soundproof ear plugs??? She'd wake up and the boys would have torn the house apart and she wouldn't have heard a thing!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Can you imagine if Heather had completely soundproof ear plugs??? She'd wake up and the boys would have torn the house apart and she wouldn't have heard a thing!!!!!
Trust me, I thought of that.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just continue to try and keep a friendly relationship with them.New Mom's are so anxious, that I'm SURE some womanly talk/friends would be like Heaven to her.