Is This Normal?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I see a thread about a pregnancy on here I can't help cringing. I get that people have different opinions but somehow it doesn't feel good knowing that people are letting their cats go through with it. While I don't agree with abortion, with cats I think it's the lesser evil since they don't have the same morals as us. Breeding is instinct to them, they don't have condoms or pills or other safe sex things.

I see all the homeless cats in the shelters who are overlooked because they are adults, it's heartbreaking.

If people would just fix their kittens at 2 lbs we wouldn't have alot of these "my cat got out" threads.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of us cringe when we see cat pregnancy threads. The problem is, if we get too cranky with the owners of the pregnant cats, its can prevent the cats and kittens from getting the care they need :/. It's a balancing act, trying to impress the importance of spay/neuter and still help those that need help.

You can also see how many people get annoyed when posters ask when they're going to get the mama cat spayed. That's the really frustrating part. Plus those who are like "oh, she got out yesterday so she probably met a tomcat, her spay appointment is tomorrow but I don't want to spay her until I know for sure!" It's not a pregnancy yet. It's just some random sperm floating around trying to find an egg. Have her spayed quickly!

Some vets won't spay/neuter at 2 pounds. Mine won't do it before 5 months :mad2:. I think that causes a lot of unwanted pregnancies and I hope the newer batch of vets are more open to early spay/neuter in cats.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The clinic that I go to will spay at 2 months and 2 lbs, they do work for a couple of the rescues in the area. If is an established client with a new kitten they prefer to wait a bit. They like to wait until they are 3 or 4 months.