Is this normal?

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I noticed smokie, after he woke up, he was stretching out on the sofa. I'm not sure if it was his right or left hind leg. But as he was stretching it kind of shook a little and then he got up. I've noticed this one other time when he was in my lap laying.(I don't think he was sleeping at the time. I've seen him twitch and stuff in his sleep) He may have just woke or something but he went to stretch is hind legs out and one of them shook a little. I watched it for a couple of seconds and then put my hand on his leg and then it stopped. Not sure if this is something all cats do once in a while? I do know that probably about 2006 smokie was in a window and the window came down on one of his legs. He was limping a little. The next day he was completely fine running around and playing again. So the vet said that he thinks he might have just strained something a little. Anyways since then he's been fine. He can climb over walls when he wants to get out of a room with no problems. So was just wondering if this could be something attributed to that or just normal for cats? It only happens once in a while. Mostly when he stretches.

Mel

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it looks like he's trying to shake something off his paw kinda quickly, I have one cat that does that. I don't think it's anything abnormal.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do this sometimes when they are asleep, I have always presumed that they are dreaming.x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look like he's trying to shake something off. It's more like a tremor of some kind. It's not really bad it's just slightly. It stops when you touch it or he moves. It's the second time I've seen him do it and it doesn't happen any other time.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine do that so I'm hoping it's normal.

I think it is just them stretching.

Taryn

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think that is normal. My cats have done it when they give a really large stretch, and if you've ever stretched really hard you might notice your muscles shake a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I feel better knowing that other cats do that too. He's the only one I've seen do it, and thought it was strange that only one leg did it.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most all my cats "tremor" leg when they wake up, their muscles are relaxed from being asleep, they are all in their older years, so I don;t worry about it unless they are hobbling around and paying a lot of attention to it. Their feetsies go to sleep too.