Is this normal? Third eyelid showing.

Nknknk85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I’m concerned about my cat.
He is 7 months old. He has had diarrhoea for almost 2 weeks now. I’ve taken him to the emergency vet who did a blood test - came back fine. They prescribed a probiotic to firm up his stool. Hasn’t worked. Went back to the vet yesterday - they checked his temperature, heart and lungs. All fine. They prescribed him a worm treatment.
Earlier this week I noticed his third eyelids were seriously showing. It’s not something I had ever seen before - I had to Google ‘inner eyelid’, then found out what it really was - this shows the extent to which I’ve never seen my cat do this.
I’m adding photos - the second one is exaggerated and it looks like he’s squinting because I’m holding my finger in the air to get his attention. He has also been meowing at me a LOT.

Is my vet misdiagnosing him? Is there more at play here? I just want my boy to be okay. 😢😓

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What with the third eyelids showing like that, and his extra vocalizations, --I realize you've already talked to two but is there another vet you could speak with, since what's being prescribed isn't working? Is he becoming dehydrated? Have you changed his food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has anyone checked his stool - as in a fecal PCR test? This test not only looks for a variety of parasites - not always found in a standard fecal float or smear test - but it also checks for certain bacterial and viral issues as well. And, then as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, you also need to consider if you made any dietary changes in his food before the diarrhea started. The vocalizations suggest his tummy doesn't feel right. How is he eating/drinking/using the litterbox?