Is This Normal SOP?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm even angrier now over this incident than I was before!

We went to pick up the records on Thursday so I could bring them to the new vet yesterday, and that jerk had the audacity to charge me TEN dollars PER cat!!
When we got there, I wrote out the check for $10, b/c that's what the office girl told me it would cost when I talked to her on the phone. But when I handed her the check, she said it was $50! I'm like "WHAT?! You told me on the phone it was $10 for ALL the records!!" So I told her I wanted to talk to the vet. He comes up front, and tells me it's $10 per cat. I argued about it with him, but it did no good. I also told him just why I was going to a different vet, since I had my chance. He didn't seem to care one way or another. As much as it p-o'd me off, I ended up paying the price, b/c I really had no choice: I needed those records. But I only paid for Winchester & Geronimo's records, b/c they are my two FIP cats and I needed those the most. All their medical info is in those records, and I thought it would be beneficial for the new vets to have them....

It looks as if that whole office is shady. Even the receptionist lies..

I'm gonna do some checking into this. I don't think it's right that I should have to pay that price just for a few sheets of paper..
Even the new vet's office thought that it was ridiculous when I told them I had to pay for the records...

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

anyway, simply say [either on the phone or when you pick up the records] that you had an acquaintance who made the same request, but was supplied the record copies w/o a fee. if you say acquaintance, & they ask who, you can say you forgot the name... that's why it would work better if you actually knew someone whose name you could supply.
I'm gonna try to contact the receptionist who used to work there (the girl who I mentioned from the other thread who got fired) and ask her. She would know if anyone does...

but that's me, being tacky. irritates me if i feel i'm being taken advantage of!
It irritates me too, as you may have surmised..

~KK~

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have run into people having to pay for vet records when surrendering their pets to the shelter so it is not that uncommon, it depends on the vet I guess.

The problem with most vets is they don't exactly have a price list in reception to prove costs.

Really their staff are doing work for what is essentially not a client anymore so I can understand them charging because they have to keep copies for 7 years (or whatever the licensing in that area states) so someone has to copy them.

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long does it usually take to get those files? Also, can one just ask forthem just to have, or does it mean right off the bat that I am looking for a new vet. I just wanted to show some of the results on this forum tosee if anhone might have an idea of additional action for one of my kittens. I actually like my vet alot and she is very good.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went through the same thing with my vet. They closed up shop and didn't notify anyone. I left a note on the door and emailed them but of course I got no answer. I was furious. When I called the state of mn, they said they would notify the vet and the vet HAD to give me the files within 30 days or something like that and they could charge a reasonable fee for the copies. When I asked what reasonable ment, the state said .25 a page was reasonable. I had an email and my records delivered to my front door within a couple days. It was amazing. They didn 't charge me a penny. They didn't copy the files they gave me the originals. they would have went into storage anyway.

My point to this long story...get the records first then call that state and see what they say. If they think $10 is unreasonable, they can write a letter or make a phone call.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny that this thread got bumped up! Holland has an appointment tomorrow with a new vet (we moved several months ago), and I just happened to read here. Just to see what would happen (I have copies of all her records anyway), I called Holland's previous vet, told them that we had moved and asked if they could fax or e-mail her records to me. I was told that they would be faxed within the hour (no charge) and if I didn't get them in an hour to call back.

Maybe it depends on the vet as to what the SOP are, but IMO, you should be able to get free, unlimited access to your pet's medical records, just like you would be able to get your own or your child's records.

tkaner - if you're worried that your vet will think you're shopping for a new vet, just be honest and let them know you'd like to keep copies of the records just in case. I don't think it's an odd request.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't see a vet getting upset over a request for records, if you are uncomfortable just say you'd like to have a copy of them just in case of an emergency after hours or you're traveling and they need to see a vet(especially if they have a medical history that isn't normal- surgeries, illnesses, etc.) Nuts' records would just have his shot record, him being neutered and 2 visits for minor issues(excessive meowing and foamy urine both times he checked out ok), so I don't need them, his only 'issue' is being FeLV+ but he's perfectly healthy, he's the polar opposite of Attitude when it comes to health. I know when I went to Canada(I lived in Dallas,TX at the time) when I was 28 weeks pregnant my OB gave me a copy of my records in case I had to seek medical care while I was there. I didn't need them, but it was good to have them just in case(I was obviously having a normal 'textbook' pregnancy.)

My vet's office had to fax Attitude's records to a different vet when Paul wanted a second opinion on Attitude(they told him the same thing I did- my vet was doing everything right and nothing could be done for her that they weren't already doing. I wasn't going to change vets anyways, I just never told Paul that.) I went back to my vet(Paul was honest that he wanted a second opinion the next time Attitude had an appointment) and my vet was the one who put Attitude to sleep(they even called me after her death to reassure me there was nothing that could have been done, her fungal test was negative), they still see Nuts and I need to make an appointment for Dexter. Of course in my situation I had a cat with FeLV that was going downhill fast so they knew the situation(the other vet even commented on how big Attitude's file was especially for a 1 year old cat(he said that the size of her file as typical for the average dog or cat who lived a normal lifespan.) I wouldn't have been upset to be charged for records, but I also knew going in that Attitude was going to have a rather large file(my vet didn't charge anything.)

Taryn

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all. I thought I should point out the fact that this is an old thread, which someone noticed and bumped up. FWIW, I no longer have the vet to whom which I was referring to in this thread, and there is no problem obtaining records from the two vets that I use now. But I sure appreciate everyone's advice & input as always.