Is this middening? If so, will Feliway help?

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm new here, this is my first post, and since I'm sure you guys are all very knowledgeable cat lovers, I'm hoping you can give my some advice about my insane little Imogen.

A bit of backstory: I recently moved to a new town to start a new job and all that yadda yadda, so I decided to adopt a cat to go along with my new apartment. I found a lovely little tabby DSH female with beautiful markings and the most affectionate personality at the local animal control facility, so I immediately took her home. She was perfectly calm throughout the whole process, even perching on top of the passenger seat headrest (while supported by my significant other's hands, of course) to look out the car window on the drive home. Within ten minutes of bringing her into my apartment she was playing with a balled-up piece of paper as if she were in heaven. She seemed confident and dog-like, and I thought everything was going to be great.

(I did notice right off the bat, however, that she was a particularly clingy cat. She seemed to need my affection and reassurance 24/7, and would cry piteously when I left for work or she didn't know where I was.)

When I woke up the next morning to find a special delivery in the middle of the hallway, I figured it was just my fault for introducing her to a new place too quickly, and that she needed time to sort out where her bathroom was. Within two days, she was urinating regularly in the litterbox, but she wouldn't for the life of her defecate in it. She seemed to prefer the tile floor of the bathroom/hallway/living room/kitchen/anyplace. And, especially, she liked the arm of the couch.

So, I confined her to the bathroom (where her litterbox is) when I was not at home. Nope. I changed litter types. No good. I changed the type of box. Nah-uh. I changed the location of the box. And then I came home to find a literal sea of partially-dried liquid defecation covering the bathroom floor.

(btw, I've taken her to the vet...she has no medical reason to be doing this. The diarrhea is due to stress, apparently.)

I got a second box. That seemed to help a bit. I got Cat Attract litter. And that seemed to help even more. Finally it seemed that two boxes filled with Cat Attract and a decent period of quarantine and re-acclimation would do the trick.

Now, after gradually re-introducing her to the rest of the apartment, she's back to her old tricks. More specifically, I noticed this morning a deposit left in the exact spot in the kitchen where I had been standing for a good time last night while chopping veggies and making dinner.

Now, I had never heard of middening before today, but it certainly seems to fit the bill of what she is doing. Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing? She consistently urinates in the litter box(es), and it is not a medical problem. She leaves the feces in high-traffic, open areas where I have been and where I am certain to see them. She has left them in high spots on the couch. She makes no attempt to bury them. Even on the few occasions where she has defecated in the litter box, she will not bury her feces.

So I guess my real question here is: will Feliway alleviate this problem? I've noticed it has a pretty steep price tag. I don't want to get too invested in something if it only works for problem urinators and not for middening cats (or whatever she is doing). Is this a territorial problem? Separation anxiety? Something else? She really is a remarkably sweet and affectionate cat, and I want more than anything to be able to have a normal, happy, healthy, and stress-free kitty/parent relationship with her.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this, if in fact you did get through all of it
Comments and advice very much appreciated!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I am assuming you still have your two litterboxes, both with cat attract litter in it? If not, make sure you do... How often do you clean them?
Also, how are you cleaning the spots? Make sure to clean with a good enzymatic cleaner, IMO only two work well - Nok Out, and Anti Icky Poo.
Feliway does work well, if the case is stress related - it is worth a try, IMO - get it from Amazon, you will get it for about 1/2 price... Here is the link.
Can you, by any chance, get yet another litter box? I know it is asking for a lot... but...
Also, are the boxes open or closed? Make sure they are open boxes, and large enough for her to fit comfortably.
Where are the boxes located?
Good places for litter boxes are on the back corner of quiet, but open rooms, where the kitty doesn't feel trapped, and can watch the whole room - remember, in the kitty's mind when she is pooping, that is the time when she is the most vulnerable... They like to have some privacy, and yet see what is coming... That makes them not feel threatened. On the back corner of a corridor is a good place as well... Laundry room is not a good place, neither are garages, or closets.
As far as covering the poop, some cats do, and some don't... Here two of mine do, and one of mine don't...

Cats don't really do this kind of stuff on purpose... So, she either does't like the litterbox, the litter itself (if you havve cat attract that is not the issue), the location, or there is something wrong with her physically.
And the fact that one vet didn't find it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, by the way...

But let's see what your answers are with these first -

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS. Do you know if your kitty had any litter box issues at the shelter, or with previous owners (if any)?

I don't know much about middening, but I have a female cat who sounds somewhat similar to yours. She's also very clingy and cries when she's alone, or thinks she's alone. She's never left her business outside of the box, but she doesn't cover it. When we brought in new cats, she didn't get along with them despite slow introductions. We got a Feliway diffuser, and she's not nearly as aggressive as she used to be. It took several days before I noticed a difference with the plug-in. The spray is probably a lesser financial commitment, but I haven't tried it. I do think the Feliway is at least worth trying.

Good luck in finding a resolution, and kudos to you for trying to really figure out what's going on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she had the more extensive fecal test for giardia and TF? Has she been tested for worms and/or de-wormed? Have you changed her food? If not, what has she been eating? Have their been any other behavior changes? Lastly, how long have you had her?

I know it's lots of questions, but these might help us to get a better picture of the situation.

Another thing, have you tried any pro-biotics such as Bene-bac, Forti-flora, or acidophilus? These often help firm up stools.

I'm a big proponent of Feliway and think that it can help in lots of different situations. I'd get at least one diffuser and plug it in to see if there's a change. Also, you might consider getting her a small stuffed animal to be her "companion". That might help with the stress, too. During the day while you're gone, you might leave the radio going, so there's noise which is something she was used to at the shelter.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that who ever lived where you are before you had a cat, and she is marking her territory (I had to read up on what middening is, I'd never heard the term before)

Separation anxiety is also common cause of middening, is what I read. Feliway plug in diffusers can definitely help with separation anxiety. Depending on the size of your apartment, you may need more than one.

I saw them at amazon for $15.99 recently I think. I don't buy them there because they won't ship the feliway to my PO box, I get mine at entirelypets.com.

The article also stated enclosing kitty in one room for a week before gradually allowing more access to the larger living area, I know you did that, but for how long?

How old is she, and what is her name?

Please keep us posted!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a result of being in the shelter and learning improper habits. I have a pet sitting business and I've seen a lot of different things cat owners do to make their kitties happy with boxes. One idea that comes to mind is that it's possible she prefers defecating on flat surfaces. You could try putting newspaper flat into the bottom of a litter box and seeing if she'll use that. Not perfect but it beats having a surprise!

Were it me, I'd go for the Feliway. From all the posts here you can see that narrowing down the reason for Imogen's inappropriate defecation might take some time. If it's behavior related the Feliway could help. I agree with the poster who suggested Amazon. It's where I get mine and it's a much better price. You may find that the lower price tag makes it worth the risk of it's not helping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your advice! I am definitely going to try the Feliway.

And to answer some of your questions...

Her name is Imogen, she's approximately 8-10 months old, and I've had her now for a bit more than a month.

Currently both of her litterboxes are placed close to each other on the far wall of the bathroom, in the corner. They are open boxes, filled with Cat Attract, and are a good medium size that she can comfortably turn around in. (She's a petite little cat, as well. She's full size and barely six pounds.)

She did actually have worms when I adopted her, though I didn't realize it until a couple of weeks into the kitty parenthood experience. Though I treated her and the apartment for fleas, she already had tapeworms. That has since been cleared up and she is doing fine. Neither vet I took her to (and there were two) performed a more extensive bacterial and/or parasite fecal test, as that appeared to be a one-time problem due to stress. Oh, and she's on a regular dry food Purina Cat Chow diet. (I know it's not the best in the world, but I'm living in an extremely small town, and specialty/organic human food is nonexistent, not to mention pet food.)

The stuffed animal idea is great! I hadn't thought of that one. I'll try that with another round of sequestration alleviated by Feliway, and hope for the best

Again, thanks to all!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After she was treated for worms, did the vet do a follow up fecal to make sure they were gone? They may not be. My girl had to be de-wormed twice before we got rid of all of them. You may want them to do another fecal to test for worms as well as other things such as giardia.

It's also possible that you're dealing with some kind of food allergy or the food is too rich for her system.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If having the worms caused her any discomfort while defecating she may have learned to associate the pain of that with her litter box which may be what's causing her to go elsewhere. She may need to be retrained to the box. First, make sure that the worms are totally gone. Then start teaching her that the box is a good thing by associating it with positive things. I've had to do this with one of my cats. He's a real glutton so I put a little dish on top of the litter then add some of his favorite treats. He soon forgot all about the pain. There are lots of ways to retrain them though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woot! I'm happy to report that I got my Feliway diffuser in yesterday, and as of this morning, there were no accidents!

Imogen seemed to respond to it very well. I had previously scrubbed the bathroom from top to bottom with enzymatic pet cleaner, washed her litter boxes thoroughly, and refilled them with Cat Attract litter and the Cat Attract herbal additive. Even though I kept her sequestered while I was refilling her litter (behind the shower curtain in the tub--she loves to explore the tub and can't seem to figure out how to get past the shower curtain to save her life) as she has a tendency to want to help me make a mess, she started crying with a happy "I want it" sound as soon as I cut open the litter bag. The best part is, she did the same thing yesterday the very moment I popped open the Feliway! And she's not a crier; she'll only tell me she wants something if she is absolutely dying to have it.

About an hour or two after I had plugged it in, she seemed a little, well, "stoned," to be honest. But in a good way. Almost as if she was coming down off a catnip high. So I kept her in her bathroom for the night, with a stuffed animal companion (the past few nights I've been sleeping with the stuffed animal so that it can get my scent), and she did great! Of course, this is only one night, but it shows promise

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your support and advice!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for keeping us updated. Hope things continue this way!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray for one night of success! Had she used the box? Praying it continues!