Is this loose skin normal?

Meimaar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The saggy skin extends from her primordial pouch up until under her neck. She's 9
IMG_20230105_223131.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like you have her hair cut/trimmed/shaved? Might be why it looks more obvious.

I personally don't think any cat's skin isn't somewhat 'loose', especially on their entire underside. Is this a new development? Have you discussed your concerns with the vet? Of course, there will be some natural sagging of skin as a cat ages, just like humans.

I can't see where it is an issue, unless there are lumps/bumps associated with the looser skin - and, then those should be looked at by a vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi -
Feebysowner beat me to it :)
I can't see well enough, but it appears that the groomer left her fur as a lion cut, with socks, probably a tuft on the tail end, and around the neck. You're sure that it's skin and not fur along her stomach? There's no saggy skin anywhere else, right?
Have you had a chance to talk to that groomer to find out if they left fur so that they wouldn't accidentally cut her skin, or your vet?

Do you think you'll be able to keep up with grooming her now, so that you might not have to have her shaved next time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meimaar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like you have her hair cut/trimmed/shaved? Might be why it looks more obvious.

I personally don't think any cat's skin isn't somewhat 'loose', especially on their entire underside. Is this a new development? Have you discussed your concerns with the vet? Of course, there will be some natural sagging of skin as a cat ages, just like humans.

I can't see where it is an issue, unless there are lumps/bumps associated with the looser skin - and, then those should be looked at by a vet.
Hello! Yes, she was recently shaved. She didn't have the excess skin before, but the last time she was shaved was about 4 years ago she didn't have it, her hair was very long so I'm not sure when it exactly developed. I only noticed it after the vet left (it was a home session). I really would like to check her belly for lumps but anywhere other than her back is a red zone and she will definitely hurt me. I guess I will wait until she recovers from the stress of her last vet session then get her checked. Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meimaar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi -
Feebysowner beat me to it :)
I can't see well enough, but it appears that the groomer left her fur as a lion cut, with socks, probably a tuft on the tail end, and around the neck. You're sure that it's skin and not fur along her stomach? There's no saggy skin anywhere else, right?
Have you had a chance to talk to that groomer to find out if they left fur so that they wouldn't accidentally cut her skin, or your vet?

Do you think you'll be able to keep up with grooming her now, so that you might not have to have her shaved next time?
I was present when she was being shaved so I know her belly was completely done. No saggy skin elsewhere too. Keeping up with her grooming will definitely be a problem because she hates all sorts of handling and she has a history of sending me and other family members to ER for trying to force her to do anything and one time she caused permanent nervous damage to my sister's hand from a very powerful bite. However, going forward I resolved to have her sedated for when she needs grooming.

On this topic, I hope you could advice me on how to deal with her generally. We had her since she was 3 months and she was never abused but she has a lone wolf personality and wasn't socialized well, she set her boundaries with us and for all the 9 years we had her any handling further than petting her a few times would annoy her and she quickly resorts to attacking. She's the loveliest and most well behaved and affectionate cat until you try to touch anywhere below her back, she just dislikes the handling so we understand that's just what she's like now and we've adjusted to each other very well, but at this age and going forward she will need more care and she won't let me provide it. No medical disorders apart from a fungal infection that I'm really struggling to help her with and might just give up.

I can't get help on this issue from vets because for some reason in my city there are no cat-only vets, and all the ones I've seen either think that cats are dogs or just underestimate how aggressive she can get and just advice me to force her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - oof, it's so hard, and frustrating, when a cat needs help of whatever sort and doesn't want to allow it.

Have you considered cbd? Also, for more intense things like vet visits, maybe gabapentin could help (there's a liquid version available from what I've read), and I just read about a member who is considering adding trazedone to his cat's gaba dose for vet visits.