Is this kitty blue?

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is our senior cat, Tech Cat 1.   I have always thought that his color resembles a Korat or a Russian Blue.  I know he is not a full breed of any sort but mixed breed kitty & I do like love his color.  Is this what is known as "blue"?  What kind of mixed breed kitty is he anyway?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, grey is called blue in the jargon of cat fanciers.

I would suggest some sort of british-ancestry- alike.

Nose profile, and also rather on the heavy side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, grey is called blue in the jargon of cat fanciers.

I would suggest some sort of british-ancestry- alike.

Nose profile, and also rather on the heavy side.
OH ok, grey is considered blue, but what is nose profile? Is that his side photo?  He does tend toward the heavy side, yes.   

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat - are his eyes as green as they look in the picture?
Thank you.  :) Yes, his eyes are very green like in the picture.  I see the reflection of a light in his eyes that may be a flash but I do not recall, he's had so many photos.  If a flash was used, I suppose it might have illuminated his eyes more, but yes he looks like that all the time.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OH ok, grey is considered blue, but what is nose profile? Is that his side photo?  He does tend toward the heavy side, yes.   
Yes, his side photo shows a rather short nose. Like British do have.   :)

So I think if you want to compare his type with something, so perhaps sooner alike British than alike russian or korat.  Although his green eyes.  (im not expert on British - they can perhaps have green eyes?  not the most common with them though)

But what he IS, is of course shorthair domestic, blue bicolor, as  Northern Glow so knowingly says.  :)

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, his side photo shows a rather short nose. Like British do have.   :)

So I think if you want to compare his type with something, so perhaps sooner alike British than alike russian or korat.  Although his green eyes.  (im not expert on British - they can perhaps have green eyes?  not the most common with them though)

But what he IS, is of course shorthair domestic, blue bicolor, as  Northern Glow so knowingly says.  :)
Thank you as well.  I did not even consider British kitties also have their blue breeds.  I have only considered pictures of Russian Blues and Korats. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you as well.  I did not even consider British kitties also have their blue breeds.  I have only considered pictures of Russian Blues and Korats. 

British comes in a number of colors and designs, some allowed, some not.  But blue is certainly one of the more common allowed colors.   :)

Also bicolor isnt unusual.   :)

Although this with green eye colours in Brits Im not sure 

They are known for their copper or gold eyes, but Wikipedia tells they may come in others colors too.

Their example of a blue brit seems to have green eyes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/British_blue_hugo.jpg

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue brits are only allowed to have copper eyes. The color has been bred for so long that the eye color has turned into a very vivid deep copper (as of course the eye color gets also better when it's being on purpose bred to look like it).

Few example pics:

http://catza.net/fi/view/code/BRI_a/139033/

http://catza.net/fi/view/code/BRI_a/071021/

IMO the OPs cat doesn't resemble a Brit. the nose/head/body type is very different.

Last edited:

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue brits are only allowed to have copper eyes. The color has been bred for so long that the eye color has turned into a very vivid deep copper (as of course the eye color gets also better when it's being on purpose bred to look like it).

Few example pics:

http://catza.net/fi/view/code/BRI_a/139033/

http://catza.net/fi/view/code/BRI_a/071021/

IMO the OPs cat doesn't resemble a Brit. the nose/head/body type is very different.
That is a lovely website.  I see all the different breeds as well.  And certainly I see the rich copper eyes that are among the blue brits.     

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

British shorthairs are a natural breed - they were selected from housepets in the UK, and until relatively recently (1970s I think_ any cat with the right appearance could be registered and used for breeding.  As a result a huge number of totally non-pedigree cats look a bit like a BSH - that is until you go to a few shows and get your 'eye' in for a good BSH.  Size, shape and coat texture are rarely comparable though I have seen a rescue that that looked pretty good against the BSH breed standard.  Short, stocky, short crisp coat, strong build, small well-set ears, good eye shape and a very masculine head as he was neutered rather late.

Blue & white is common in pedigree BSHs, but Russian Blues and Korats don't accept 'with white' at all.

However, you cat is almost certainly a 100% pure-bred moggie.

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
British shorthairs are a natural breed - they were selected from housepets in the UK, and until relatively recently (1970s I think_ any cat with the right appearance could be registered and used for breeding.  As a result a huge number of totally non-pedigree cats look a bit like a BSH - that is until you go to a few shows and get your 'eye' in for a good BSH.  Size, shape and coat texture are rarely comparable though I have seen a rescue that that looked pretty good against the BSH breed standard.  Short, stocky, short crisp coat, strong build, small well-set ears, good eye shape and a very masculine head as he was neutered rather late.

Blue & white is common in pedigree BSHs, but Russian Blues and Korats don't accept 'with white' at all.

However, you cat is almost certainly a 100% pure-bred moggie.

Oh, yes.  I definately see that the Korats and Russians are pure blue with no white.  And I did not know that a BSH could also have white. I just googled it and they are very adorable animals.  What is a moggie?  A domestic shorthair??  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, yes.  I definately see that the Korats and Russians are pure blue with no white.  And I did not know that a BSH could also have white. I just googled it and they are very adorable animals.  What is a moggie?  A domestic shorthair??  
White pieces CAN happen in russians, typically a white medalion on breast.  But it is seen as a grave fault, so these cats wont never ever win any title at Shows, perhaps not even the almost usual Excellent grade.... If such happen to be born, is sold as pet quality.

Domestic is the polite name  for moggie yes. Or house cat, or roof cat in Poland, or peasant cat in Sweden, etc...

Sometimes faultly may be called here here in Europe for European, (and in USA probably for American), but it is wrong - Both European and American are pure breeds with breeders, pedigree paperworks with full ancestry etc. 

Although both do have their ancestors roots from these "peasant cats". (Sorry, in USA surely Farmers cat   :)   )

So you can find a lot of look alikes  European Cat in the swedish shelters.   :)

Last edited:

lovemycats2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
White pieces CAN happen in russians, typically a white medalion on breast.  But it is seen as a grave fault, so these cats wont never ever win any title at Shows, perhaps not even the almost usual Excellent grade.... If such happen to be born, is sold as pet quality.

Domestic is the polite name  for moggie yes. Or house cat, or roof cat in Poland, or peasant cat in Sweden, etc...

Sometimes faultly may be called here here in Europe for European, (and in USA probably for American), but it is wrong - Both European and American are pure breeds with breeders, pedigree paperworks with full ancestry etc. 

Although both do have their ancestors roots from these "peasant cats". (Sorry, in USA surely Farmers cat   :)   )

So you can find a lot of look alikes  European Cat in the swedish shelters.   :)
He-he.  Yes he is a delightful USA Moggy because the name seems to fit him somehow .  The different names are very interesting to hear.  I would agree that a white medallion on a Russian would likely not win over a solid blue but I don't know because the breeds are of renewed interest to me since learning about them here.  Used to have a book about breeds when I was small and my interest seems to be renewed.