Is This Fading Kitten?!?

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I am fostering a mama and babies from a rescue here. Mama arrived with 4 babies and I quickly noticed something was wrong. She was rushed to the vet and it was determined she had a breach kitten still inside. Vet saved both mama and baby and they are both back here with me now. They are approximately 3-4 days old now.

The breach kitten (Hope) now appears to be having difficulties thriving along with the other kittens. I noticed today he has gone down in weight, approximately 5grams (sorry I'm canadian) and is cooler to the touch than the rest though I wouldn't call him cold. Mama had a really hard time figuring out how to "mom" as this is likely her first litter and shes fairly young herself though shes seems to have sorted it out over the last few days.

Hope also appears to have a kinked tail and is generally less energetic than the rest of the kittens. He is not suckling on mom and I have started supplementing him with KMR every 2 hours. I'm worried hes fading and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be so save him. I know the odds are stacked against him and this is sometimes unavoidable but I wanna give him the best chance possible.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma is caring for him?

Anyways a IR warming lamp is good for example he wont be chilled of when handfeeed.

If necessary you can give him more often then every 2 hours.

Adding a little dextrose may help.

Powdered KMR better than liquid premade.
Can you get raw goats milk?
R Reannej

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep him warm so he doesn't use his resources trying to keep warm. Make sure he has some 'alone' time with mom to feed, the others may be pushing him away. If he is too weak to eat from mom, supplement him like you are doing. You are doing all you can, and more than most, so now just pray and love him so he knows he should fight. I'll keep them all in my thoughtas and prayers.....

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma is caring for him?

Anyways a IR warming lamp is good for example he wont be chilled of when handfeeed.

If necessary you can give him more often then every 2 hours.

Adding a little dextrose may help.

Powdered KMR better than liquid premade.
Can you get raw goats milk?
R Reannej
Currently I have him separate from the litter and I am supplementing him every 2 hours as mama doesn't seem to spend much time with her babies and he somehow chills when the other kittens dont. I have both the premade and the powdered KMR I was feeding premade last night as I was exhausted but have switch back to the powdered. Do you think I should keep him with the litter? Honestly I can tell mama is feeding and cleaning the others (though maybe not a regularly as she should) but I never witness it and I think she skips this one. When ever I check in on her and babies she is elsewhere in the room while her babies sleep.

They are all eyes closed and most still have the embilical cord.

Should I be concerned mama isn't spending all her time with babies? I am getting conflicting answers looking online.

Thanks again for help.

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely keep him warm so he doesn't use his resources trying to keep warm. Make sure he has some 'alone' time with mom to feed, the others may be pushing him away. If he is too weak to eat from mom, supplement him like you are doing. You are doing all you can, and more than most, so now just pray and love him so he knows he should fight. I'll keep them all in my thoughtas and prayers.....
Thank you!! I know sometimes kittens fade but I want to do EVERYTHING I can to save this little one hes been through so much already!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As mamma is ok but so so momma, its prob best you take full charge getting also full controll

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Could you maybe set up a camera?
If she's cleaning them and nursing them to the point that they're all piled up snoozing inbetween feedings (as opposed to crawling around and crying) they're probably ok.
However, it might be helpful if you could weigh them, that could help answer whether mama is doing enough.
Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with Furballsmom. She is prob good enough for them others but watch out some. Daily weighting is a good help in all uncertainy situations.

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Could you maybe set up a camera?
If she's cleaning them and nursing them to the point that they're all piled up snoozing inbetween feedings (as opposed to crawling around and crying) they're probably ok.
However, it might be helpful if you could weigh them, that could help answer whether mama is doing enough.
Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide
I've thought about a camera and and looking into getting some kind of baby monitor with camera. I do weight them in the morning and throughout the day they are gaining and when I notice a drop in weight and a small belly I supplement. I guess my main concern is they will get cold without mama around.

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! It seems mama has finally figured it out, I'm still supplementing hope with formula but she has accepted him it seems!

This forum is amazing!! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things going today?

You can place a heating pad set on LOW under a blanket in the nest. It will help to warm the kittens when mom is not in the nest.

How much are the kittens gaining?

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

You can place a heating pad set on LOW under a blanket in the nest. It will help to warm the kittens when mom is not in the nest.

I lost hope this morning. And I'm devastated.

Mama still isn't sleeping with the other babies but they are warm even when she is not around. I am focusing my attention on making sure they are okay.

When I had a heating pad in there before mama wouldnt nurse them and I think it was because she was too hot.

These babies hopefully will make it.

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

They are gaining a few grams a day

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They need to gain at least 6-10g a day, or you will need to supplement. How much exactly are they gaining?

Stay hopeful!

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost hope this morning. And I'm devastated.

Mama still isn't sleeping with the other babies but they are warm even when she is not around. I am focusing my attention on making sure they are okay.

When I had a heating pad in there before mama wouldnt nurse them and I think it was because she was too hot.

These babies hopefully will make it.

Reannej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I should be clear that hope was the kitten born via c-section and she didnt make it :'(