Is This Fading Kitten?

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-
A litter of four kittens was brought to an open intake shelter in my area without a mother- they were about five weeks old at the time and eating mush on their own. Now they're about nine weeks. When I first got them, they weighed from .6 to .9 pounds, had bad diarrhea, so they were on a dewormer, then Flagyl for a week. This has cleared up for all of them, and they have been healthy for about three weeks. The largest one is currently 1.9 pounds; two are around 1.3 pounds, and there's one that is 1.1 pounds. I'm worried about the smallest. When I first got him, I was syringe feeding him KMR to supplement his diet, since it didn't seem like he was growing and pretty much just laid there all day. This seemed to help (in addition to the meds, of course), and he after two weeks he was running around and playing. The last couple days the smallest kitten has been lethargic. I worry because he's the smallest and doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the others, and he has a bit of a triangular head (which he had when I got him- I'm assuming because he hasn't had adequate nutrition). I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow to get checked over, but I doubt they will find anything. He doesn't seem dehydrated, his stool looks good, etc. Up until a couple days ago he had a bit of a belly (normal kitten belly, not worm belly). I am starting to syringe feed him KMR again. Is this fading kitten syndrome? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are the kittens eating? Wet and dry food? Which brands? How much and how often?

None of them are at the weights they should be, which is at least 2 pounds.

Perhaps try Nutrical supplement, KMR for all, and Gerber turkey or chicken baby food - especially for the runt, but maybe for all of them for awhile.

I’m hoping the smallest just needs more food, and it’s nothing more. Ask the vet for a B12 shot.

See that this small kitten and the 1.3 pound ones eat every 2-3 hours. They are the size of 4-5 week olds at 9 weeks.

Let’s see if they can begin catching up.

Thank you for caring for them!

S sunny091

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I have Royal Canin Babycat food out for them all the time. I have been feeding them five cans of Fancy Feast kitten food per day- 3 in the morning, 2 at night, and they've been eating most of it. I've also tried the Royal Canin babycat wet food and Nutro kitten, but they prefer the Fancy Feast.

I've been trying Nutrical but they hate it! I will try the Gerber baby food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need to eat wet food more often. It needs to be offered 4-6 times a day.

Are you around to feed them more often? If not, feed morning, when you get home, and before bed. At least 3 times.

Kittens need to eat frequently, especially these underweight ones.

Do they eat the Royal Canin babycat dry food?

How much formula do they drink?

S sunny091 This has been edited and added to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to feed them three times per day. They do eat the Royal Canin babycat dry food, just not much of it. They drink a lot less KMR now than they used to... I'll make a small bowl and they'll drink only 1/4 of it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk?
KMR in powder is good but you want to try a change...

Raw honey? Adda little into their drinking water or goats milk / krm. This gives also some calories for free. S sunny091

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also try moistening a dish of the dry kitten chow with formula to soften it. It may tempt them more and be easier to eat.