Is this early labor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkitterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Human won't stay in with taco she keeps wandering around. She goes back when he meows but is out a lot of the time. We started bottle feeding because she wasn't nursing for long periods of time and I'm very concerned about him staying warm or getting enough

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Human! You wonder how much they grieve, besides the hormones. I looked at your little corral you set up for them, but you probably need to nest it up with a warm blankey, old sweater, so baby can nest. Even a small box just for baby where Human can see Taco. Heat an old sock with rice in the microwave about 5 minutes. Wrap sock with bath towel and put near baby. They have to stay warm, but able to get away. Regular heating pads can get too hot!  You will need to feed every 2 hours, or maybe the neighbor cat won't mind "just one more" I just remembered you have that option, and in cat world, baby raising, probably your best option.

kitkitterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that makes sense I was microwaving sock for just like 30 until it was warm but that only stays warm for like 5 minutes. I was worried about it being too hot. Also taco has wandered out of his nest repeatedly trying to find human. Can I put blankets? I've never had kittens so I was worried he'd smother like a baby.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
NO! Heat for about 5 minutes, until you see it steaming! and it will hold heat a good 4 hours when well wrapped with the towel. I used an old cashmere sweater for Stewart. I keep thinking Taco would be safer at neighbors, although I know you would miss him staying over there. And I don't know how comfortable your relationship is, and if you would be able to visit - but Taco might have a better chance these first 2-3 weeks. Has Human shown any interest since she stopped? She may want your reassurance, and you just staying close. I think new first time mama kittys really cling to their owner at this time.

Last edited:

kitkitterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes as long as I'm in the room so is she and she sits with me when I feed him and snuggles him when he cries it's just the second he's asleep she leaves. Also the neighbor cat moved her kittens yesterday and we aren't sure where. I'm not super comfortable leaving him there as they have a litter of puppies three adult pits and two litters of kittens. I just feel like there's a lot of opportunities for something to go wrong. If that makes any sense. Also Human is already upset and still actively looking for the other kittens. Before we brought Taco back she wasn't eating or acting normal at all so I'm worried if we take him she will not do well. Anyway he seems to be doing well. Weighed him today and he is up a half Oz from yesterday and is finally visibly growing. And he's still very active and strong.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, with all that chaos at the neighbors, it is probably best. And the neighbor mama cat left? She could've taken Taco!  Thank goodness he was back with you!  Well if things are progressing, maybe Human will come around to motherhood. I know cats are known to be so independent, but they so depend on us. Besides a baby kitten, I think new mama kitties are almost as in need of special care!  Human IS  your baby!  So I am glad she has you there to help bring up your gran baby - which I am positive will stay with you forever. Sounds like you have it down. Taco gaining, keeping warm, and kitty kisses and love from you!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you should see if you could "borrow" one of the neighbor's kittens, which would leave her 3 and give Taco a brother or sister to snuggle with when mama is away from the nest.  It sounds like Human might be happier with more than one now also, since she had the other one under the bed and may be wondering where it is.  Do you think they would let you try?  It sounds like they have more than enough animals at their place.  That was an unusually large litter she had in there.  First litters are often just two or three kittens, not even five, much less twice that many.  I think that is why she had problems, she was just too fertile for her own good.  She's a very beautiful cat and you are lucky she is still OK and you didn't lose her.

kitkitterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taco has started growing. He is extremely active and as healthy as can be aside from his very small size. Im happy to report that Human is running around the house and playing with her toys again back to her usual self finally. She is more attentive to Taco although she is still not nursing him at all. He is taking to the bottle well though and everything is right again. We didn't intend on keeping any of the kittens but after all Human and Taco have been through we've decided not to separate them ever again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic news! So glad to hear that tiny Taco is doing well and that you plan to keep him. Sorry his mama is not feeding him, but at least he has her in his life. Glad your mama cat is back to herself; she certainly went through a lot. All good wishes that Taco and mama continue to do well!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What lovely news that Taco is active and busy, and starting to grow.  Hopefully he will start to catch up in size very soon.  I am happy to hear you are planning to keep them together now.