Is this catnip?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a weed that’s filled my garden, especially the potted plants.

If not, the kitties to love it; what else could it be?

IMG_0440.jpeg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of things in the mint family that it could be. Usually the other mints that cats aren't as into, especially once they taste them. Mints can spread and be perennial, so you could have it growing "wild". I always just pruchase some each year and put it in a pot so I know for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of things in the mint family that it could be. Usually the other mints that cats aren't as into, especially once they taste them. Mints can spread and be perennial, so you could have it growing "wild". I always just pruchase some each year and put it in a pot so I know for sure.
Maybe post a picture of your potted plants?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It’s a weed that’s filled my garden, especially the potted plants.

If not, the kitties to love it; what else could it be?

View attachment 462445
That looks very similar to a plant that grew wild in our backyard in Aurora, Colorado. DH swore it was mint but I wasn't willing to be the guinea pig that actually tried it.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would but we just got our first snowstorm and I had to pull it for this year... but this a pic from a couple years ago - View attachment 462451
That looks like it's related to the plant that I have, but definitely not the same. The blossoms are completely different.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to be of help. I don't think it is catnip. Or any other mint. First image - helpful closeup - has a rounded stem and alternate leaves. Plants in the mint family have square stems and opposite leaves.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use one of those phone apps to recognize plants through AI. They are wonderful apps. I have one on my phone and I use it often. I found out I had stray plants in my garden that I could never imagine 😄

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is: (a) it isn't catnip, for the reasons noted above by Catapault and me; and (b) it's not deadly poisonous, since the kitties were able to nibble on a bit of it and so far no discernible problems.

Haven't given them any more, though. Just in case it's one of those long-term nasty toxins.

If anyone comes across an ID for the plant, just give it to me bay-bay, as the late Rick James would have said.

1698699187849.jpeg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you rub the leaf between your fingers - does it have an odor?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is: (a) it isn't catnip, for the reasons noted above by Catapault and me; and (b) it's not deadly poisonous, since the kitties were able to nibble on a bit of it and so far no discernible problems.

Haven't given them any more, though. Just in case it's one of those long-term nasty toxins.

If anyone comes across an ID for the plant, just give it to me bay-bay, as the late Rick James would have said.

View attachment 462495
No minty odor with him either.

OW!