Is This Cat The Mother Of My Kittens???

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've fostered quite a few mom/kitten sets in the past, and this is the second time this particular situation has happened.

Someone surrendered four kittens and their mom to an animal control about two weeks ago. My rescue organization pulled them and they were transported to us a couple days ago. The kittens are about 3 months old-- they are very scared and need some socialization, but they're mostly healthy (slight URI, one needs eye meds). I left the mom at the vet to get spayed and just brought her home today. She is acting like she's never seen the kittens before, and she's growling/hissing at them. I'm sure she's scared, but she's been walking around the room and accepted attention from me. Three kittens have not moved from their place on the cat tree. The fourth has been keeping his distance from his "mother." Typically, in the past, I would see the kittens run to their mom for attention, and the mom being affectionate to her kittens. Is this always the case? I'm just wondering if this is the mom to these kittens.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
call your vet and tell them you aren't sure you got the right cat back. Tell them why. They may have another client who is freaking out because they got the wrong cat. But the vet didn't believe them. With two of you the problem and the solution will be simple. Some cats do look a lot alike. Don't sound angry, just concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mother is currently in the room with the kittens. She’s not being aggressive, she’s just keeping her distance and doing her own thing. If the kittens get too close, she hisses/growls. I think they’ll be fine together in the room.

It’s actually not a mix up! She’s the cat who came off of transport (I met transport at the vet, then had all of the cats vetted, but left the mom there to get spayed). I also have pictures from the animal control.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's good. I thought you weren't sure. And mix ups do happen particularly when you've only had a short look or two at the cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does she look like, and what do the kittens look like?

Even if they are hers, she's not feeling well and won't want them to try to nurse. And they're at the age when she would start encouraging them to leave so she could have another litter. Sounds pretty normal, although sometimes people do surrender unrelated cats and kittens so who knows.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if she was with them and accepted them before, she is most likely the mom and is now traumatized and hurting from the surgery. That's why it is always better to spay moms after the kittens can be on their own. I DID have a mom though that gave birth to a second litter less than 70 days from the first, so it's a problem to know when exactly. She must have MY temperament, grouchy and lashing out when sore or sick! :)