Is this cat pregnant?

tmp1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had 2 male stray/feral cats that we feed. In February we started to TNR them. We easily caught one but the other was an old soul and on to our tricks. He would not go into the trap. We conducted further research on hard-to-trap cats and ordered a larger trap. In the meantime, another cat began showing up. This cat was easily trapped and we took her to the clinic and was told that she had mammary development and could either be pregnant or experiencing a false pregnancy. We opted not to terminate the pregnancy and brought her into our home to have her kittens, if pregnant. She is a little scared but as sweet as can be This was March 22nd.

We have no experience with pregnant cats. When she first came into our home, she had pinked-up, enlarged nipples, the hair around her nipples was bare, and there were also swollen mounds beneath the nipples. I assume this was her mammary glands. Last weekend we noticed that this swelling beneath the nipples had gone away. She also seemed very blah over the weekend. I was a little concerned about this so I took her to the vet on Tuesday, April 5th just to get her checked out and make sure all was ok. The vet said that her stomach was firm and enlarged but not enough to say that she was definitely pregnant. She said that it could be worms. She also stated that since we had only had her for 2 weeks that if she had gotten pregnant right before she was caught, she would be too early in her pregnancy for an ultrasound or x-ray to show anything. Essentially we could be wasting our money so we decided to just bring her home and wait.

I have read so many articles online and the more I read, the more confused I become. It seems the symptoms of pregnancy, false pregnancy, and heat are all very similar. We have other cats so she is quarantined in our guest bathroom. I have set up several areas in there for her to have the kittens but it's a small room so she cannot really search for a nest. She is not extremely large. At times I think I may have felt kittens inside of her but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

These are her current symptoms:
  • When her nipples are squeezed milk comes out but I do not notice it readily flowing on its own. We first noticed this on Tuesday night.
  • Clear discharge, also noticed on Tuesday night.
  • She will stick her butt up and tread her back feet sometimes while being petted. This has been going on since we have had her.
  • Her appetite has decreased.
With having the intact male cat outside (he has since been caught and is recovering from his neuter in our garage!), I think it would be a miracle if she is not pregnant. There is so much conflicting information out there, I just do not know what to think. Some things that I read said that once you see milk or discharge she should have the kittens within 2 days. Well, we noticed these things on Tuesday and still no kittens. Should we be concerned? Does this sound like she is pregnant or experiencing a false pregnancy?

I truly appreciate any guidance you can offer. TIA!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmp1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have attached some photos of her from different angles and one of her nipple.

I forgot to add above that the vet said that she is very young, less than 1 year. She only weighed 6 lbs. Also, in my opinion, but what do I know, her stomach does not seem as big as it was when she first came to us.

Thank you all!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is highly likely that she is pregnant with a small litter. The signs you note are end of pregnancy symptoms. Once milk comes in a cat will usually go into labor within a week or so. Milk will flow more freely after having the kittens and they begin to suckle. See what happens over the next week and keep us posted!

tmp1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! The not knowing for sure is driving me crazy. I've never been through this before and I'm a nervous wreck!

tmp1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is highly likely that she is pregnant with a small litter. The signs you note are end of pregnancy symptoms. Once milk comes in a cat will usually go into labor within a week or so. Milk will flow more freely after having the kittens and they begin to suckle. See what happens over the next week and keep us posted!
I wanted to give you an update. The discharge continued through Sunday with no signs of labor. On Sunday, the discharge was darker so I took her to the emergency vet. She was given an ultrasound to check for pyo. No signs of pyo and no kittens either. She was given a clean bill of health. I called this morning to set up her spay appointment and will then find her a loving home. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did they think the discharge was? Infection?

Thank you for all you’re doing for her!

tmp1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They said no signs of infection. They said it could have been from her being in heat as she was showing signs of that.

Oh it's my pleasure. I am an animal lover, always have been! Thank you for your concern and support!