Is This Brand Good?

Lita1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone hope u have a great day/night

I was in the store and this dry food was available. I never saw the brand before and I absolutely have no idea about if the ingredients is good or bad. I'm very ignorant about this field. sorry.

My kitty is 7 months old.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not want to feed this one. We want to see a named meat as the first ingredient at least. hopefully the first several ingredients, would show something like Chicken, Turkey or Duck meal. something like that, a named meat. Not Soybean meal as the first ingredient.

If you will tell us where you are located, and a budget for food we may can be of better help.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't feed it to my cats. Too much plant matter in the first five ingredients. I only feed food that starts with a meat (ideally named) and had no corn, wheat, or grain. There are other parameters I apply but those two are the high level absolute minimum requirements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lita1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not want to feed this one. We want to see a named meat as the first ingredient at least. hopefully the first several ingredients, would show something like Chicken, Turkey or Duck meal. something like that, a named meat. Not Soybean meal as the first ingredient.

If you will tell us where you are located, and a budget for food we may can be of better help.
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it.

I'm from Saudi Arabia. The available food in the market are : friskies. Both dry and wet. Which once I got her the dry one and she liked it.
Purina dry food. Which she like.
Fancy feast wet food. Which was what I primarily fed her . But she eat a very small portion of it.so I save what left in the can in the Refrigerator . But once I left the open can an hour or so out and when I came back it was full of warm which scared the life out of me. After that I never came close to this brand
Whiskas both dry and wet. She like the dry but she don't even look at the wet type.
Royal canin wet food. Never tried it.
And there the new brand which I put the picture of. But what you said sir freaked me out and I got rid of it from her bowl.

I will buy whatever for her. So please recommend to me what the best out of the list. Thank you and I appreciate your time with me.

Lita1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't feed it to my cats. Too much plant matter in the first five ingredients. I only feed food that starts with a meat (ideally named) and had no corn, wheat, or grain. There are other parameters I apply but those two are the high level absolute minimum requirements.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes I was concerned with the first thing I read from the ingredients so I thought I would ask who have knowledge with this. Thank you. Now I have an idea of what should I look for in the food before buying. Thank you again.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Food ingredients can vary with country. If you can post pictures of ingredient lists on the food you are considering we can take a look at the one you are considering.

But if you see a named meat as the first thing and no corn, wheat, or rice in the first four/five it is a decent choice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So please recommend to me what the best out of the list
Hi - I didn't know that ingredient lists for products can be different in different countries - that was an eye opener for me and made me wonder how easy or difficult it might be to avoid bad ingredients/additives.
I was going to suggest, what if you rotate between the different foods on the list that you and she are comfortable with and like?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it.

I'm from Saudi Arabia. The available food in the market are : friskies. Both dry and wet. Which once I got her the dry one and she liked it.
Purina dry food. Which she like.
Fancy feast wet food. Which was what I primarily fed her . But she eat a very small portion of it.so I save what left in the can in the Refrigerator . But once I left the open can an hour or so out and when I came back it was full of warm which scared the life out of me. After that I never came close to this brand
Whiskas both dry and wet. She like the dry but she don't even look at the wet type.
Royal canin wet food. Never tried it.
And there the new brand which I put the picture of. But what you said sir freaked me out and I got rid of it from her bowl.

I will buy whatever for her. So please recommend to me what the best out of the list. Thank you and I appreciate your time with me.
Fancy Feast is a pretty good option in the US, but the ingredients vary by country. What I like to recommend when looking for a good cat food is that meat should be the first ingredient, it should be grain-free, low in starchy vegetables like potatoes, and carrageenan-feee.

Here’s a helpful article that gives more information about picking out a cat food: How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would pass since soybean meal is the first ingredient, and therefore would be GMO. I do have concerns over GMO foods, and would prefer the first ingredient to be a meat source.

Lita1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your time.
Yes I pretty much tried everything available in the market. She seem to like Purina dry food

I found today an online shop . and found one that have a praised brands from what I read people in forums and websites praise. I'm considering buying applaws

Of course I will ask them first to send me the ingredients information so I can read it and make sure.

But for now I bought royal canin wet kitten food

Hope it is a decent choice.

The proplem is she doesn't eat wet but in a very small portion. The rest of it pretty much go to waste along with my money :(
I think I will settle with dry food . As she seems to like it and it's cheaper and stay out and don't smell what was the issue with my dad towards having a cat .

Thank you so much. I came out of this pretty knowledgeable in the matter compared to before and can make a decision thanks to you.

And this is my kitten .

Lol of course I'm joking with this shot but I can't help how cute she is sitting so far away.

But seriously there she is . Alpha

She is in heat right now :( I plan to get her sprayed next month .

Thanks again
Peace.

Lita1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the double post. Seems like I can't edit.

This is the Purina dry food that she like

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG, she is sooooo precious!!! Keep a hawk's eye on her while she is in heat! They can become Houdini's and can manage to escape seemingly escape-proof homes while in heat. Glad you found some good food. It can be overwhelming, there is so much to choose from - raw, conventional, wet, dry, prescription, budget, premium...it is not an easy decision!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a dollbaby!!!
You will be able to edit after a certain number of posts (I don't know the number). It's a rule due to too many educational discussions getting deleted by the original poster when they didn't like the feedback.

Here is the ingredient info on the Applaws kitten food;
Dry Chicken Meal (62%), Chicken Mince (17%), Potato, Brewer’s yeast, Beet Pulp, Chicken Gravy (1%), Salmon Oil, Source of Omega 3, EPA and DHA Vitamins and minerals, Dried Egg, Cellulose Plant Fibre (0.03%), Sodium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Seaweed/Kelp, Cranberry, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Yucca Extract, Citrus Extract, Rosemary Extract.

Have you tried toppers for the wet food? You can either mix it in or put it on top. It would be so great if you could get her eating wet food. Regarding the odor, some of the canned varieties are smelly, some are not so bad. With the smelly ones you could maybe feed her in a room away from people, and then pick it up if there's any left, wrap it and refrigerate it if you want to.
If you try some of the Applaws wet foods, you might have better luck getting her to eat, and they don't smell. Just keep in mind that some of their varieties aren't a "complete" food (no necessary taurine etc) so you'd definitely want to have her dry kibble available on those days.
Here are some toppers you could try;
  • baby food with no onion or garlic,
  • bonito flakes - available from various pet supply places
  • salmon, mackerel--this is almost as good as bonito in this house ;), or sardines (no bones)
  • freeze dried minnows
  • and you can crumble some of her favorite food or treat onto the wet food to tempt her