Is This Behavior Normal?

Ellisthomas64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family brought in a stray from outside when he was about 7 weeks old almost a year ago. He has always been a good gat, and has never really been rough. 3 weeks ago, we brought in another stray. This one was 5 weeks old. They are both males, and the older one is neutered. We tried to slowly introduce them, and there was the usual hissing and such. Eventually, they began interacting in a way that seemed okay. The kitten will instigate with the larger cat by pouncing on him, and the larger cat will chase the kitten. The larger cat will then pin down the kitten and bite at him even while the kitten whines. It just seems very rough, but I don't know if the behavior is normal. Help?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is very normal, and your older boy has taken over for the kitten's mama. He's teaching him what's what, and who is who, and doing it just as Mama would have done. It sounds much worse than it is, almost always. So long as the older cat is not making the baby bleed, he's just doing what needs to be done to teach the little one his manners.