Is this beetle poisonous/harmful to cats?

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was playing with this beetle that she found somewhere and she suddenly took of running and screaming like the beetle had stung her...? Not sure if she was trying to eat it or where she was stung but she is salivating a little from her mouth. I don't know if this is a reaction to the pain and I am not really worried as she seems otherwise OK but would like to possibly identify this beetle and whether it is harmful to cats. And also what signs I should be watching out for and how I should care for her.

Photo attached below. Any links to websites/Facebook groups where I could identify the insect are also welcome and much appreciated. Thank you.

20230518_132318.jpg
20230518_132255.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not an entomologist, so I can't speak with authority on this. But my dad was an entomologist with a degree in it, and taught me some as I was growing up.

From what I understand, there is only one known beetle with a venomous sting, and it only exists in the Amazon area.

Onychocerus albitarsis - Wikipedia

Random beetles that are encountered around the home are nothing more than protein snacks for cats. Especially one of that size. Its mouthparts wouldn't be able to pierce the skin of a cat's mouth.

Thats my first impression, anyway. I don't know everything. But I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Perhaps elaborate on what you mean by "screaming" however?

Some beetles can produce bitter/stinky substances as a defense mechanism. Just to make predators spit them out. I don't know what kind of beetle is in your picture, but the fact that it hasn't been chomped and swallowed makes me think that maybe it released something to make your cat spit it out?

I've watched my cat eat a bunch of beetles, spiders, centipedes, etc. over the last 8 years. He always gets this look on his face like "ew, gross!" but his natural reaction is to chomp down hard/fast and swallow. I've never seen him spit out a bug. I'm just theorizing here, but maybe your beetle was a particularly foul-tasting one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not an entomologist, so I can't speak with authority on this. But my dad was an entomologist with a degree in it, and taught me some as I was growing up.

From what I understand, there is only one known beetle with a venomous sting, and it only exists in the Amazon area.

Random beetles that are encountered around the home are nothing more than protein snacks for cats. Especially one of that size. Its mouthparts wouldn't be able to pierce the skin of a cat's mouth.

Thats my first impression, anyway. I don't know everything. But I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Some beetles can produce bitter/stinky substances as a defense mechanism. Just to make predators spit them out. I don't know what kind of beetle is in your picture, but the fact that it hasn't been chomped and swallowed makes me think that maybe it released something to make your cat spit it out?

I've watched my cat eat a bunch of beetles, spiders, centipedes, etc. over the last 8 years. He always gets this look on his face like "ew, gross!" but his natural reaction is to chomp down hard/fast and swallow. I've never seen him spit out a bug. I'm just theorizing here, but maybe your beetle was a particularly foul-tasting one.
Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative message. I just got off the call from my vet and he also said that the beetle is not poisonous. She did have a bit of inflammation on her lip at first but after a few ice packs the swelling has decreased. She's also had food and water so I am thinking nothing serious🥺

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative message. I just got off the call from my vet and he also said that the beetle is not poisonous. She did have a bit of inflammation on her lip at first but after a few ice packs the swelling has decreased. She's also had food and water so I am thinking nothing serious🥺
For future reference, I wouldn't worry about your cat eating bugs, if she does it again.

My cat Willy was a rescued cat from outside, and he was really skinny when I found him (definitely didn't have hunting skills, as he was too young and must have come from from other humans). I suspect he may have eaten bugs as a little bit of food while outside, because he's eaten every bug he's encountered in my home since I've had him. Goes right for them.

I've even seen him eat a wasp. I wouldn't have allowed him to do that if I caught it in time, but he did it faster than I could react.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I guess I rejoiced a bit too soon *sighh
This morning she woke up with a fever and a lot of swelling on the insect bite site. So had to take her to the vet and they gave her a pain killer and some medication (not antibiotics but something to do with histamines...?🙈)
She's been lethargic the whole day but then again she's always had low pain tolerance and weak immunity eversince she arrived at my home as a foster at 3 weeks old. But she did have some dinner so hoping she gets better soon🥺

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have a true bug, not technically a beetle.

I found this info in the Bug Guide (linked site to what’s that bug)

How to tell a bug from a beetle: [adapted from Jim McClarin's comment]
If antenna ut have fewer than six segments (4-5), then it's a bug. Beetle antennae (with very few exceptions) have at least 8, usually 11

Identification
Mouthparts piercing/sucking
Soft or hard-bodied, often dorsoventrally flattened
Typically two pairs of wings; forewings (hemelytra) are partly leathery, partly membranous (may be variously reduced)
Scutellum prominent
Antennae 4- or 5-segmented
Most have thoracic scent glands used for defense

Perhaps that is why it actually left a bite. Beetles usually pinch rather than bite, which can still be painful, but a bug may actually have a defensive toxin in their bite.

I looked through most of the Bug Guide, but was not able to find that bug. The yellow antennae and the blue legs are distinctive.

I hope your girl improves with the treatments from the vet. 🤞🤞

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My “picture insect” app identifies it as a type of stink bug. says it is non toxic, but best left alone, as it can bite and secret a noxious fluid. Says it does not pose a threat, however. It didn’t specify cats.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you have a true bug, not technically a beetle.

I found this info in the Bug Guide (linked site to what’s that bug)

How to tell a bug from a beetle: [adapted from Jim McClarin's comment]
If antenna ut have fewer than six segments (4-5), then it's a bug. Beetle antennae (with very few exceptions) have at least 8, usually 11

Identification
Mouthparts piercing/sucking
Soft or hard-bodied, often dorsoventrally flattened
Typically two pairs of wings; forewings (hemelytra) are partly leathery, partly membranous (may be variously reduced)
Scutellum prominent
Antennae 4- or 5-segmented
Most have thoracic scent glands used for defense

Perhaps that is why it actually left a bite. Beetles usually pinch rather than bite, which can still be painful, but a bug may actually have a defensive toxin in their bite.

I looked through most of the Bug Guide, but was not able to find that bug. The yellow antennae and the blue legs are distinctive.

I hope your girl improves with the treatments from the vet. 🤞🤞
Thank you for all the info. I didn't know this. Definitely something to keep in mind as my felines have a thing for creepy crawlies

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted as to how she responds. This does sound like a classic reaction to the bite.
The vet also seemed to think she was reacting to the bite which was why he didn't prescribe antibiotics. But the wound did get infected later on as there was some pus and her gums changed colour to brown..(?) at the bite site. She also had a fever but slowly getting back to normal

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My “picture insect” app identifies it as a type of stink bug. says it is non toxic, but best left alone, as it can bite and secret a noxious fluid. Says it does not pose a threat, however. It didn’t specify cats.
Thank you thank you for clarifying. And for the app details👍👍👍

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your

A wasp! Your kitty is definitely something🤗🤗 Mine has been on bed rest- literally for the past two days😆

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A wasp! Your kitty is definitely something🤗🤗 Mine has been on bed rest- literally for the past two days😆
Yes! Like I said, I would have stopped him if I could, but he was chomping on it faster than I could react.

I was a little skeptical that a beetle could have caused your cat's reaction, because there are so few poisonous beetles, but as furmonster mom furmonster mom suggested, it might not be a beetle at all. There are tons and tons of insect species and I am no expert whatsoever... just somebody who is interested and reads a little about the entomology world.

Did you say the region where you live? That helps to identify insects.

Also, have you taken any pictures of your cat's bite? I'm just curious to see what it looks like.