Is this ACNE?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar used to get acne but hasn't for a while, he did end up at the vet with it once but it wasn't that bad, poor Kitty
With Radar I honestly don't know what caused it, he went through a phase with it but has been fine now for ages and nothing changed in his diet or feeding arrangements, I've always used stainless steel bowls and no plastic around.

If Kitty is on other medications then this won't be suitable but I'll post it as info for others who have acne problems - Radar had a fairly new antibiotic injection, it's long lasting working over 7-14 days with no need for pills and it's most effective at treating skin infections and abscesses, brand name Convenia, generic name cefovecin. Worked a treat.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry to hear that maisie is feeling bad too. we want to hear tomorrow that the vet has got them both sorted. for both your precious cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

Kitty is feeling a lot better today and the vet thinks his acne is caused by his over grooming and hair plucking on his back. So he had the long acting anti-biotic injection Convenia ( Epona, you were right!
) and a domperidone injection to help with the irritation on his back.

He said Maisies intestines don`t feel as thickened as they did last time so hopefully we caught things early so she has had a steroid shot as that perked her up last time and got her eating again.

I`m a bit flabbergasted at how expensive it was. Silly me thought as I took them in together I`d only have to pay one consultation fee
£80 later

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm sure glad I saw this! I am heading to the vet's with my cat today. After reading this, I'm sure it's acne. He drinks from the dog's plastic water bowl, even though he has his own. I can't stop him from doing that, so I'll have to replace the bowl with a stainless one.

He's still going to the vet. I think he needs antibiotics. It was bleeding a little yesterday. My poor baby doesn't have ANY claws (I didn't do it - he was a rescue), so I don't know what he's been scratching on. Poor thing.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good to hear that kitty is on the road to recovery. how's maisie now? is she eating ok?

that is expensive but with 2 happier and healthier kitties, well worth it!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snuggy's mom

Well, I'm sure glad I saw this! I am heading to the vet's with my cat today. After reading this, I'm sure it's acne. He drinks from the dog's plastic water bowl, even though he has his own. I can't stop him from doing that, so I'll have to replace the bowl with a stainless one.

He's still going to the vet. I think he needs antibiotics. It was bleeding a little yesterday. My poor baby doesn't have ANY claws (I didn't do it - he was a rescue), so I don't know what he's been scratching on. Poor thing.
Glad this thread has helped you too
Hope you`re kitty is better soon

Originally Posted by tab

good to hear that kitty is on the road to recovery. how's maisie now? is she eating ok?

that is expensive but with 2 happier and healthier kitties, well worth it!
She hasn`t eaten a lot today and was sick on the way home but last time it took 24 hours for her to really perk up again. So tomorrow she should be eating better with any luck. She`s a tough little cookie

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That Convenia must be good stuff. Kitty`s chin is looking a lot better already

Before;

After;

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Kitty's chin is doing much better!