Is this a Siamese thing? x3x

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it a Siamese/ Siamese mix thing for them to eat ALL the time?

Finn, who is very clearly a Siamese mix, and who is about 6 months old acts like she is hungry ALL the time!, she would, if I let her, literally sit there and eat two or three cans of cat food at a time O3O, I feed her the same amount as I do the other cats, which is more than enough for them at one meal, but Finn wolfs hers down, then goes on to eat what the other two don't finish and THEN still squawks for MORE food, which ofcourse I don't feed her.

she's got no worms, and obviously she cannot be pregnant because she hasn't even come into heat yet, so those two possibilities are knocked out the window, is it just a fast metabolism? or is she just being a super greedy cat? I know Siamese and Smese mixes are talky cats, which she is, infact her talky-ness has increased, and she talks about EVERYTHING, she'll just walk around meowing for no reason (last night, she sat in the chair beside the bed and squawked until I woke up, she wanted me to move my head off of "her" pillow, so she could lay down u_u) but I know nothing about their eating habits.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are active cats so eat a bit more than placid lap cushions, and at 6 months she is a teenager and growing fast.

HOWEVER - if she is going out she will get pregnant unless you get her spayed.  With a cat that can go out all that happens a lot of the time is she is out longer than usual and then a few weeks later the owners realise she is getting fatter and there is movement...  It's high time to get her spayed, BEFORE she has a chance to come into call.

Regardless, don't restrict how much you feed her at present.  Once she is 10 months - 1 year and has finished growing her appetite will probably reduce.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese tend to go into heat young--my childhood cat (half Siamese) was about 4 1/2 months old. So don't be too sure! If she's been outside she may already be pregnant :(. Siamese do call very loudly but if they get mated fast enough you might not notice.

But that's pretty normal for a teenager. They eat like horses at that age! For now go ahead and feed her as much as she wants (within reason) but make sure to cut back when she's around 12-18 months old so she doesn't get fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, she has never been in heat as of yet, never had a cat go into heat before 9 months, actually, I have a feeling she'll be a caller when she is, as loud as she already is O3O, besides, I have a cat who is a silent heat cats, and even though she doesn't call she does roll and all that bizz, so I'm not really worried about that.

I kinda figured it was the teenage hungries xD, but if I let her eat as much as she WANTED, well she'd eat me out of house and home faster than I could say "crabcakes"

she already wieghs about 5 pounds and is already half the size of Paint and Emry, Paint and Emry are a year and a half and only weigh about 8 pounds each xD

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she has never been in heat as of yet, never had a cat go into heat before 9 months, actually, I have a feeling she'll be a caller when she is, as loud as she already is O3O, besides, I have a cat who is a silent heat cats, and even though she doesn't call she does roll and all that bizz, so I'm not really worried about that.

I kinda figured it was the teenage hungries xD, but if I let her eat as much as she WANTED, well she'd eat me out of house and home faster than I could say "crabcakes"

she already wieghs about 5 pounds and is already half the size of Paint and Emry, Paint and Emry are a year and a half and only weigh about 8 pounds each xD
Then you've been extraordinarily lucky, though with them being so very small perhaps they'll call later than normal sized cats. (are they inbred, is that causing the low fertility and small stature?) 

Kittens food shouldn't be limited, they are growing and need good quality foods to properly develop. Where did this kitten come from?  You're best to fix her and Paint asap to avoid them both becoming pregnant. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sorry about deraling this thread just a lil bit more
but I had to mention that if you spay her prior to her first heat cycle (rather than after), then her chances of getting mammary cancer will be dramatically decreased. If she indeed hasn't gone into cycle yet, I would set up an appointment with the vet asap. While there, you can also discuss your feeding concerns.

One thing which comes to mind is that she may need kitten-specific food, which is richer and has a higher calorie content.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about deraling this thread just a lil bit more
but I had to mention that if you spay her prior to her first heat cycle (rather than after), then her chances of getting mammary cancer will be dramatically decreased. If she indeed hasn't gone into cycle yet, I would set up an appointment with the vet asap. While there, you can also discuss your feeding concerns.

One thing which comes to mind is that she may need kitten-specific food, which is richer and has a higher calorie content.
I totally agree. Getting her spayed before she goes into heat greatly reduces health problems down the road. And, your vet can make sure there isn't something else going on other than her being a growing kitten. 

With Emry being pregnant and Finn being so young those two should be free feeding kitten food as much as they want. You may have to find a way to feed Paint separately an adult formulated food since she is older. But, both Finn and Emry need as many calories as they can get! 

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese do tend to go in heat earlier. Mine went into heat at 5 months old!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend's Siamese kitten is in full call at 6 months.  She is well-grown but of course not fully grown.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese derived breed here, mine call from 14 weeks

Though we are far more likely to be talking about a pointed domestic here, still 5 months on is very normal for all cats

Last edited:

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and she talks about EVERYTHING, she'll just walk around meowing for no reason (last night, she sat in the chair beside the bed and squawked until I woke up, she wanted me to move my head off of "her" pillow, so she could lay down u_u) 
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but I just wanted to say that this was completely hilarious and cute! 
 So adorable.

Bit on topic, might not be a Siamese thing, might just be a hungry kitten thing. My brother and I have gotten our kittens at the same time. His boy will eat basically everything that is available, while my girl is very finicky and hard to tempt. As a result, he is almost twice her size by now despite being the same age...