Is this a savannah cat f6? Kitten is 6 month

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a very pretty silver tabby boy! Well marked indeed.

It's hard to say with an F6. They are basically domestic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes ! I have doubt because Savannah's ear are longer and pointy

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the spots maybe.. but yah a f6 is basically just a dsh. if no papers, id be hesitant to say yes..

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DSH mixed with serval.
The thing lately I had car allergies....the only reason I go for this type of cat...

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also any way to treat allergies in a successful way? Any successful stories?
I would rather avoid shots in case I were to adopt a tabby...

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way thanks for your input...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only way to say the cat is a savannah f6 would be to have breed documentation. Appearance when it comes to cats is very misleading as most purebreds are refinements of naturally occurring variations. You can get a dead ringer for the breed without any relation to it. But back on subject, this cat could be a f6 but it could also just be a tabby, and I personally lean more towards a tabby domestic short-haired.

As for allergies, there isn't really a hypoallergenic breed and the ones who say they are may be less allergenic for some people. Although, I have never seen savannah on a list of hypoallergenic, they tend to be the pointed breeds and Russian blue if I remember right, but I digress (heres an article for more details, There's No Such Thing as a Hypoallergenic Cat). But to potentially get that benefit you HAVE to get from a registered breeder because there are soooo many lookalikes out there. AND you have to go to the breeders house and make sure their cats are ones that you have less reaction to.

I am allergic to cats and I have had good luck just meeting cats, spending an hour with the potential, and seeing how my body responds. Last time I purposefully looked for a cat, I spent two months visiting specific kittens two or three a day until I gave up and then Link just dropped into my life and didn't bother my allergies terribly. I do take daily allergy medications (Flonase and a tablet). Plus keeping the house clean, limiting fabric surfaces (no curtains and just area rugs) and other little tips go a long way.

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I feel like this is a tabby and the seller doesn't have the papers...as for hyppoallergenic cat, I spend january at my sister's who's got ragdoll, Persian and hymalayan. I haven't got any symptoms and we played and played and played....
So based on my experience only, certain cats are just very safe for allergy people...
My sister bought them adult so the cost were low. That's why I am trying to do....even adopting a senior cat would be nice...
Otherwise I have contacted cat breeders and it's around 2000 where I live...
I will spend 1 hour with the kitten today normally and see how I react.
Thanks again for the tips :-)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people have less reaction to longhaired cats, because. . .idk, maybe because they tend to shed in clumps instead of individual hairs, or the long hair traps dander away. So since you didn't have a reaction to your sister's cats, you might consider a longhair like them.

Keep in mind that diet, litter, and general surroundings can also influence what kind of reaction you have to any particular cat. Find out what kind of food and litter your sister uses, since that obviously works for you!

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am 39 and never been allergic. It appeared last July 2019 when I tried to adopt a regular cat. The reaction was bad. The long hair is a good idea I have been looking for one. I guess I'll hang out with him and see my reactions. Usually they appear fast...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am 39 and never been allergic. It appeared last July 2019 when I tried to adopt a regular cat. The reaction was bad. The long hair is a good idea I have been looking for one. I guess I'll hang out with him and see my reactions. Usually they appear fast...
It could have been that specific cat, there are some cats I can't even be in the room after them. Yet with my cats they sleep on my bed most nights without too much issue (although I am also medicated). For me, it usually takes about 6 months to a year and my symptoms start to improve some as my body gets used to the cat.

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been around other regular cats...same reaction...but I think I am going to hold off from the offer...
He looks like a tabby...I have been watching few Savannah's videos on youtube and it's nothing like the pictures....I guess I will have to wait or pay a breeder...
I don't see what is the point on lying though...people can always try to return the cat or even call the cops for fake advertising...
The thing is it's a 2 hours drive to get the cat so better holding off....too much trouble for no guarantee

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some people lie for the money. Check Craigslist and you will find ragdolls for $600, Siamese for $400, and Persians for $500. If you reverse image most of the photos they are stock or the kitten doesn't look like the breed if you know what to look for. Like the "Ragdoll" I just saw this morning whose Mom was a longhair calico (not even pointed) and Dad was a shorthair (maybe medium), the kittens both got Dads color but Moms coat. Neither parent looked like Ragdoll but since the kitten is fluffy and has blue eyes must be.

In other cases, they honestly don't know. Humans like to label and someone finds a cat or is given a cat. "Oh wow! My cat looks like a Savannah so it must be one!" Then they don't fix on purpose or accident and end up with a litter they want to get rid of. Quick Google search and again, "wow! I can't get $1,000 for my rare cat??? Amazing!" They also think that if a cat is pointed its Siamese and you end up with "half Siamese" kittens who aren't even pointed themselves going for $150. Or any other "mixed" cat breed. Remember cat breeds are a new human hobby of the last 150-200 years so there really hasn't been the level of breed refinement and human intervention that dogs have. But most people know dogs have really defined breed characteristics and apply that logic in the classic failing of cats are like dogs mentality.

My cats both are Snowshoe lookalikes. The breed itself is incredibly rare and there are only a handful of US breeders. The chances of either being actual Snowshoe is so remote its not possible. A breed that only ever had under a thousand actual cats in the US at any given time and is after spay and neuter became popular? Chances of a random one getting out, breeding and their genes spreading across the US to every snowshoe lookalike? Very very slim. But you get the look easily enough in the general population when two pointed carriers who are also black and white breed. Look at my two, Google search Snowshoe Siamese and you will see how easy it is to pass off a moggy for purebred or assume they are purebred without knowing better. It also doesn't help that half the Google photos are self labeled, you have to check out breeders or the breed registry to make sure the photo really is of the breed.

20200222_104208.jpg
20200311_173206.jpg

Last edited:

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have another picture from the owner...who.insists is a savannah.

That's what she said :
No it's a Savannah she's a Breeder

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whats the cattery name and registering agency? You can look it up if you are seriously interested.

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a private family

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people lie for the money. Check Craigslist and you will find ragdolls for $600, Siamese for $400, and Persians for $500. If you reverse image most of the photos they are stock or the kitten doesn't look like the breed if you know what to look for. Like the "Ragdoll" I just saw this morning whose Mom was a longhair calico (not even pointed) and Dad was a shorthair (maybe medium), the kittens both got Dads color but Moms coat. Neither parent looked like Ragdoll but since the kitten is fluffy and has blue eyes must be.

In other cases, they honestly don't know. Humans like to label and someone finds a cat or is given a cat. "Oh wow! My cat looks like a Savannah so it must be one!" Then they don't fix on purpose or accident and end up with a litter they want to get rid of. Quick Google search and again, "wow! I can't get $1,000 for my rare cat??? Amazing!" They also think that if a cat is pointed its Siamese and you end up with "half Siamese" kittens who aren't even pointed themselves going for $150. Or any other "mixed" cat breed. Remember cat breeds are a new human hobby of the last 150-200 years so there really hasn't been the level of breed refinement and human intervention that dogs have. But most people know dogs have really defined breed characteristics and apply that logic in the classic failing of cats are like dogs mentality.

My cats both are Snowshoe lookalikes. The breed itself is incredibly rare and there are only a handful of US breeders. The chances of either being actual Snowshoe is so remote its not possible. A breed that only ever had under a thousand actual cats in the US at any given time and is after spay and neuter became popular? Chances of a random one getting out, breeding and their genes spreading across the US to every snowshoe lookalike? Very very slim. But you get the look easily enough in the general population when two pointed carriers who are also black and white breed. Look at my two, Google search Snowshoe Siamese and you will see how easy it is to pass off a moggy for purebred or assume they are purebred without knowing better. It also doesn't help that half the Google photos are self labeled, you have to check out breeders or the breed registry to make sure the photo really is of the breed.

View attachment 330226View attachment 330227
The pictures just appeared on my thread. Your cat is gorgeous !!

Mimisah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the woman got defensive when I questioned the bread. She told me tight away she has other buyers and now she is no longer responding...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also the woman got defensive when I questioned the bread. She told me tight away she has other buyers and now she is no longer responding...
I would bet money she's a backyard breeder, which means she falls in the category of taking advantage of people or doesn't know better. People who actually are registered purebred breeders are breeding to better the breed, not make money, and should be glad to answer (reasonable and polite) questions. And an actual registered breeder has a cattery name regardless of if they are a "private" cattery or not. Even if they only have one litter a year, they will have a cattery name. If she got defensive over asking cattery name she's hiding something nasty about her history or doesn't have one.