Is this a flea allergy or a tick?

VidiaZerena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed earlier this week my baby girl has a spot she overly licking and grooming. It’s near the base of her tail. 😭 Wondering if this could be a flea or tick bite and what should I do? Is there anything I can get that’s over the counter? I’m taking her to the vet Wednesday morning. Also is this serious? 😭 I’m so worried about her, she’s been acting normal, eating, drinking water and playing with her sister. Should I take her to an emergency vet?

Attachments

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had flea bites and must have an allergy to them. when I was petting her I felt scabs around her neck, when I spread the fur I saw small red bites (Probably blood where they bite her) My other cats have fleas too but they didn’t get the red bites.
your picture doesn’t really show bites, they just look like brown on the fur. Can you separate the fur to see the skin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way, based on those pics, to know for sure. Have you flea combed her to see if you can find any fleas? It would seem if she has fleas, you would find other, similar spots on her, and likely find fleas with the flea combing. Did you check the skin to see if there is a tick still affixed to her?

Is there any skin irritation underneath the fur? Does she go outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VidiaZerena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no way, based on those pics, to know for sure. Have you flea combed her to see if you can find any fleas? It would seem if she has fleas, you would find other, similar spots on her, and likely find fleas with the flea combing. Did you check the skin to see if there is a tick still affixed to her?

Is there any skin irritation underneath the fur? Does she go outside?
Her skin just feels kinda rough patch when I feel it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can get fleas even if they are indoors - humans bring them in. Ticks, a little less likely. If she has no other spots like that, and you flea comb her and find nothing, then I would wait and see. Since she has a vet appt. you can ask them to check that spot to see what they think.