Is This A Feral Or Stray Cat?

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So with the snow, I've noticed a prints near my apartment. Decided to put out two cameras and some wet and dry cat food out. And sure enough a black cat started popping up.

Arlo Smart Home Security Cameras | Home Monitoring | Arlo by NETGEAR

He/she usually comes by twice during the night. He/she is popping up for the last three days.

Thoughts? He/she looks really well fed, though usually when he/she leaves from a noise, it's usually a bolt, so I have to assume it's feral, but I'm not sure.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell. When my feral Maggie first came here she looked fluffy, but it was all fur and underneath she was skinny. What is in the dish? It looks like ice, did the food freeze?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell. When my feral Maggie first came here she looked fluffy, but it was all fur and underneath she was skinny. What is in the dish? It looks like ice, did the food freeze?
Oh shoot didn't think about that. I guess he/she could be skinny underneath all that fur.

I think the wet food today froze overnight, although last night the cat ate it all up.

There's purina wet tuna, and a Hills cat dry food.

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a beautiful cat. Are you thinking of keeping him/her?
I mean I don't think I could? I'm assuming it's a feral and if it is, it's well over a year old and can't adjust to a home life. I live in a apartment area and already have two cats. I was going to bring this up to my vet today. I notice that his/her ears don't seem clipped, so TNR, and just keeping feeding him/her?

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you could do TNR and keep feeding him. You never know, some forum members were able to socialize ferals that are over a year old. Maggie was 6 months old.
I'll see, at this point, anything else you think I could do? Was going to build a shelter, but I did notice another cat that ran away from me in the garbage can, so I imagine there is a colony somewhere near me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you could try building a shelter. I never had to use a shelter because I used my garage to tame my two ferals. Do you ever see the cat during the day? It would be great if you could start socializing him.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean I don't think I could? I'm assuming it's a feral and if it is, it's well over a year old and can't adjust to a home life. I live in a apartment area and already have two cats. I was going to bring this up to my vet today. I notice that his/her ears don't seem clipped, so TNR, and just keeping feeding him/her?
Hello and welcome to TCS!
I'm going to try to sell you on keeping this kitty and domesticating him or her . I'll keep this post short as possible (ha). We live in suburban Connecticut and have TWELVE indoor cats. We have 4 totally domestic residents, and 3 semiferal adults and some of their offspring. First Feral, Hanna, showed up with her 4 kittens July 2013. We'd seen this cat off and on for 2-3 years--assumed she was a neighbor's cat. With help, everyone was trapped. Kits were 4 wks old..Hanna we guessed was 3 years old. Kittens warmed up to us right away--we kept them with mom til they were weaned. She was cool about our holding them, and babies were friendly from Day One. Kept everybody--massive Foster Fail. =)
Hanna was a tough one..never mean, but just scared. Would hiss or swat if we tried to pet her. The vet dismissed her as totally feral. We ignored them and kept her indoors. She got used to it and she was able to see her babies grow up. It took 2 years, but my husband can pet her--I can't, but that's okay. She is a really sweet cat and gets along fine with everyone (I've heard that is true of ferals--not so great with people, but usually fine with other cats as long as all are neutered).
Next batch of cats June 2017: small calico Marlee showed up with 3 kittens and her baby daddy. (Daddy has Highlander "lynx" ears, and one kitten does too--see my avatar). These kittens were 8-10 weeks old. Initially we brought everyone in except feral Daddy--who got fixed & now lives indoor-outdoor at rescue lady's house since we've had a coyote visitor. The kittens were kinda hissy initially, but once weaned/separated from mom, they were friendly within a couple of days. Mama got spayed. Kept her separate in a bedroom for a while but she wanted to see what was going on in the household..so we let her out of the room and she's been really playful and fun with the group. Can pet her if careful. Two kits went to a good friend of mine.
Latest challenge is feral female #3--just captured on 1/2/18. She is scared and not too happy, but hasn't tried to kill us yet. It will be slow going.
I guess my point is that they are all different and their social development can vary based on personality and how they were raised--when taken from mom, etc. I know 12 cats in 1600 sq ft is a little nutty, but we've made it work, and it's much calmer at our house than one might expect.
You're doing a great thing by caring and trying to help. Three cheers for you!

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you could try building a shelter. I never had to use a shelter because I used my garage to tame my two ferals. Do you ever see the cat during the day? It would be great if you could start socializing him.
It's kind of hard to right now. Since whenever I see him/her, I'm either asleep or I'm in my apartment. And I would have to open my door to see her. Even if I do it super slowly he/she will run away.

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS!
I'm going to try to sell you on keeping this kitty and domesticating him or her . I'll keep this post short as possible (ha). We live in suburban Connecticut and have TWELVE indoor cats. We have 4 totally domestic residents, and 3 semiferal adults and some of their offspring. First Feral, Hanna, showed up with her 4 kittens July 2013. We'd seen this cat off and on for 2-3 years--assumed she was a neighbor's cat. With help, everyone was trapped. Kits were 4 wks old..Hanna we guessed was 3 years old. Kittens warmed up to us right away--we kept them with mom til they were weaned. She was cool about our holding them, and babies were friendly from Day One. Kept everybody--massive Foster Fail. =)
Hanna was a tough one..never mean, but just scared. Would hiss or swat if we tried to pet her. The vet dismissed her as totally feral. We ignored them and kept her indoors. She got used to it and she was able to see her babies grow up. It took 2 years, but my husband can pet her--I can't, but that's okay. She is a really sweet cat and gets along fine with everyone (I've heard that is true of ferals--not so great with people, but usually fine with other cats as long as all are neutered).
Next batch of cats June 2017: small calico Marlee showed up with 3 kittens and her baby daddy. (Daddy has Highlander "lynx" ears, and one kitten does too--see my avatar). These kittens were 8-10 weeks old. Initially we brought everyone in except feral Daddy--who got fixed & now lives indoor-outdoor at rescue lady's house since we've had a coyote visitor. The kittens were kinda hissy initially, but once weaned/separated from mom, they were friendly within a couple of days. Mama got spayed. Kept her separate in a bedroom for a while but she wanted to see what was going on in the household..so we let her out of the room and she's been really playful and fun with the group. Can pet her if careful. Two kits went to a good friend of mine.
Latest challenge is feral female #3--just captured on 1/2/18. She is scared and not too happy, but hasn't tried to kill us yet. It will be slow going.
I guess my point is that they are all different and their social development can vary based on personality and how they were raised--when taken from mom, etc. I know 12 cats in 1600 sq ft is a little nutty, but we've made it work, and it's much calmer at our house than one might expect.
You're doing a great thing by caring and trying to help. Three cheers for you!
The main problem for me is that I do live at an apartment that doesn't allow more then two pets. And both my cats are kittens and I don't think they would adjust well together. My first is particularly shy, and was quite scared of the much smaller one for a while.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the best way would be if the cat could see you bringing out the food and you could talk to him and say something like "Dinner". That's how I socialized mine, by talking to them, giving them food, and petting them with something on a long handle.

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably the best way would be if the cat could see you bringing out the food and you could talk to him and say something like "Dinner". That's how I socialized mine, by talking to them, giving them food, and petting them with something on a long handle.
Yeah it's going to be tricky, since I have to leave out food for him to come, but I would also need to bring out something even tastier when I come out of the door. If he doesn't run away already.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he sees that it's you bringing out the bowl of food. It's okay if he runs away at first, at least he would know that it's you giving him the food.

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure he sees that it's you bringing out the bowl of food. It's okay if he runs away at first, at least he would know that it's you giving him the food.
Do you think it's a he? I personally can't tell at all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell, I would have to look under its tail. It could be a girl, my female cat looks similar.

slayerming2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't tell, I would have to look under its tail. It could be a girl, my female cat looks similar.
Okay yeah that's what I figure. If it is a girl, or even a boy, I should trap him/her as soon as possible since kitten season will be here next month, and those ears don't look clipped.