Is this a Bad Vet? Am i being Gouged for unnecessary services?

catpurrent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just now finding your thread.  OMG -- yes, indeedy ... find another vet and IMHO you were overcharged on quite a bit. 

I just left an AAHA hospital because of how they treated my cats.  Room techs always insisted they be muzzled even though they never bit; demanded $15 nail trimming charges "...in case they scratch" and they were always adding on extras.  "Oh, let's do some x-rays to see how things are ..." when kitty is in for annual vaccines and had no other issues in the past; upselling products like Forti Flora as "crucial" -- etc, etc. 

The deal breaker was hearing tech and veterinarian talking outside the room about "...she's only paying $xxxx" with a key emphasis on the "only".  THEN they came back with an estimate for about $350 MORE in services that "we'd like to do just to know."

Beware of any vet practice that routinely takes pets (especially cats) "in the back" for routine vaccines.  And when my cats were spayed/neutered at this joke AAHA practice, they ALWAYS came home timid and fearful. 

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Recently, my 2 year old cat was acting weird, panting and acting as if she was having stomach issues. I was really worried one morning last week and rushed her to this vet on a Saturday. She had her vaccines there about 1-2 weeks earlier. Ironically…prior to that she had been doing just fine with no issues. Now suddenly she’s acting weird and somethings going on.
In that situation, if you asked me? - that would be my last visit. All the ruckus was unfortunate, but had they listened to you, the owner, a lot of this could have been avoided. I'm sorry you had to go through all this.

One thing popped out at me about your post - your cat's panting/acting weird episodes. Not to scare you, but my 3-year old cat would sometimes pace around and pant just prior to vomiting or diarrhea, other times too - and his cardio-BNP recently came back abnormal. The vet believes it might be cardiomyopathy, and he's going to have an ultrasound of his heart done on Saturday. He's also having one done to check his liver. Apparently cardiomyopathy is pretty common in cats, even young ones. You would need blood work (cardio-BNP), an ultrasound, EKG, and possibly an x-ray to confirm - all expensive - believe me, I know. What exactly did your vet x-ray?

I definitely wouldn't ignore the panting though. That really concerns me.

catpurrent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One other thought about the "acting weird" a couple weeks after her vaccine(s):  I have one kitty that has had serious reactions to the vaccines -- any of them.  So bad, in fact, they were reported to the drug company ... and they didn't show up for about 6 days. 

Are you able to give subcutaneous fluids?  If so, that might help get more liquid into her GI tract.  I had a cat who frequently became constipated due to IBS and the vet then was able to diagnose it just with an x-ray.  She had several enemas (apparently easy if you have a good vet or tech).  She then went on single carb food (Wellness Core).  Your poor kitty and poor you.

Around my area, the vets AND their staff actually brag about "firing" clients for such horrible things as questioning the vet, expecting decent customer service from the front desk, questioning items on the bill,etc.  Yeah - that was sarcasm with regard to the "horrible things" bit.  My elderly neighbor had a sick cat under care from surgery and these "caring" (not) vets fired her because she agree to buy flea treatment.  Her cat did NOT have fleas btw.

Good luck.  Hugs to your kitty.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just realised was an old thread. Edited reply.

Last edited: