Is there such a thing as too many ID tags?

melorix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious as to how many tags/ID's others keep on their kitties. My roommate made an offhand comment about the number of tags on McGee's collar, which is only three: the microchip ID number, his rabies vaccine tag, and a tag with his name and my name/address/phone numbers. I could even put on his city license tag, but am thinking that three is good, especially with all the information they contain. It's not like they bother him, and the extra noise is great for when I'm trying to find him in the house.

So...thoughts? How many and what kind of ID tags do you put on your cats?

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't license our cat with the city to be honest. Mostly because I don't agree with the company that has the contract right now - they are downright bad. We adopted a cat from them last year, they said he had been vet checked and our vet said that it was doubtful that he had even seen a vet - he didn't have his rabies vac, had bad teeth, a small case of earmites... all of this should have been covered in a basic vet exam. He also had FIP, which given his condition at the shelter should have been easily spotted. Sorry for the bit of a rant...

Anyways, we don't keep any tags on Leiki unless we have people coming over. When they come over we put her collar on her incase she somehow escapes the apartment and gets into the hall, and then someone somehow lets her out of the building (another two doors). She's petrified of outside anyways, we've tried to take her out before, lol.

If your cat has a good chance of getting out or is regularly outdoors, I don't think it's excessive. We keep our dogs' microchips tags, rabies tags, license numbers and ID tags on their collars. We would do the same with a cat if there was a chance of escape with them too.

My old cat, when I lived at my parents, used to go outside all the time. We got a call once because her collar had been found about a block away. She was at home, but it was nice of the people to call and we did go pick up her collar.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melorix

Just curious as to how many tags/ID's others keep on their kitties. My roommate made an offhand comment about the number of tags on McGee's collar, which is only three: the microchip ID number, his rabies vaccine tag, and a tag with his name and my name/address/phone numbers. I could even put on his city license tag, but am thinking that three is good, especially with all the information they contain. It's not like they bother him, and the extra noise is great for when I'm trying to find him in the house.

So...thoughts? How many and what kind of ID tags do you put on your cats?
My two strictly indoor cats wear a collar with a tag that has my name and number and one tag that shows they have a microchip. So they have two different tags on them. I do not keep the rabies tag on them as I am afraid they will lose it. In my city we do not registrar our cats.

As long as that many tags does not bother your cat I feel it is fine. I keep a bells on my strictly indoor cats so I can hear them
. So your methods for hearing your cat in your home sounds great

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melorix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, everybody. McGee is strictly an indoor cat, but he is pretty wily when it comes to attempting to sneak out the door with me. It just seems wise to me to keep his collar on at all times, complete with all three tags, especially if he does escape one of these days.

Plus, it's very easy to distinguish between the three cats (my roommate has two) since they have bells. The tags make a very distinctive clicking sound versus the ringing of the bells.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't wear any tags hanging on their collars if I can help it. They tend to get caught on things and they end up losing the collar if there's a tag hanging down from it.
I did buy some cute tags but I ended up not using them except when I take them out places with me.
Instead of hanging tags, my cats either wear embroidered collars with 'Indoor Only' and my phone number, or they wear CollarTags from Boomerang Tags (like a nameplate) which have my number, address, and "Lost If Alone" written on them. They are also microchipped.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for mentioning boomerang collar tags! I need to get tags for when we move.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah I forgot to say, I do have one cat who wears an ID tag but it's because of his medical problems I want people to be aware of them and I can't fit enough medical info on the Collartag. I forgot because he misplaced his collar a while ago so he hasn't been wearing the one with the tag lately.

Here are some photos/info on his tag and the other non-hanging options I mentioned:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...47#post3092547

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats don't even wear a collar. My outdoor cats have a collar and name/phone number tag on at all times. They are also micro-chipped. So, to answer your question, 0-1.

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All three of my cats have collars with tags and bells.
Two of them are strictly indoor and they both have their rabies tags and city licencing tags.

My third cat was adopted from a shelter and was an apparent stray, so a collar is a must for him. We are trying to keep him an indoor car but he still tends to go right infront of the door and lay down. He currently has a microchip tag and a city licencing tag on it

I personally have never had any problems with their collars getting stuck on things around the house, and even if someone's claw gets stuck in another's collar during play - I always make sure to purchase breakaway collars so no one gets hurt

I also like to hear when a cat is around me lol - so the bells are a plus for my household.