Is there really such a thing as normal cat behavior?

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ask because I have a 4.5 month old kitten, and he is straight up weird. He loves to sit on the side of the bath tub when I'm taking a shower, get in the still wet tub after the shower, and this morning my husband went into the bathroom and he was ASLEEP in the bathtub. He also drinks out of the toilet. My cats over the years had their own quirks but none have done things like this. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats like water. I have a few who will get in the shower after me...I know a few who actually get IN while the shower is going.

As for the sleeping in the tub...do you have any other animals? Some cats just like the quiet in the bathroom (I have 2 who prefer to sleep there for this reason) and maybe your kitten just feels safe inside the tub. Perhaps it is also warmer/cooler than other places?

And about the drinking out of the toilet...
Some cats just prefer clean running/moving water over drinking out of a regular bowl. I suggest getting a water fountain if you do not have one. If you cannot afford this, leave a faucet dripping/slightly running.
I would encourage you to keep the lid down on the toilet as any chemicals used for cleaning are typically toxic.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Very cute, they are definitely all individuals!  Well mostly, they do tend to chew toilet roll, chase flies, and watch you when you're on the toilet, but apart from that they can come up with all sorts of quirks. 
   Mouse likes to go in the bath after I've had a shower but he definitely doesn't like it when the shower is on - he tried it one day and couldn't get out fast enough!  He also sits on the edge of the bath when I'm in there which makes for a very stressful bath as he walks round the slippery edges and repeatedly slips so I have to keep holding on to him.

Drinking out of the toilet isn't such a good one: as Cat Pack says, the cleaning chemicals can be very toxic for cats (including the more 'natural' ones based on plants). It is also a risk in terms of other bacteria that could result in your cat having an upset stomach, or even parasites.  All could result in a very sick kitty. My boy gets to drink from his bowl or from taps that drip a little for him.  He also licks water off the bottom of the bath and all the basins so I make sure they have no trace of soaps or cleaning products on them when I'm finished using them.  

I haven't used a water fountain but I know they are increasingly popular for cats that like to drink water as well as getting fluids from their food.

Last edited: