Is there different types of tabby cats?

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have mama and son who both look tabby but the baby is more striped than her. Would they still be your classic tabby?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are several types of 'tabby'. Some kittens start out with spots that develop into stripes as they get older. The 'classic' tabby pattern usually has broader stripes that swirl into a bullseye on the cat's sides. Did you know ALL cats have the tabby gene? Even seemingly solid-colored cats, like black or grey often display faint stripes in bright sunlight! Tabby cats always have the famous 'M' on their foreheads between their eyes too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are several types of 'tabby'. Some kittens start out with spots that develop into stripes as they get older. The 'classic' tabby pattern usually has broader stripes that swirl into a bullseye on the cat's sides. Did you know ALL cats have the tabby gene? Even seemingly solid-colored cats, like black or grey often display faint stripes in bright sunlight! Tabby cats always have the famous 'M' on their foreheads between their eyes too.
I did think I'd seen that with the black kitten.

Is this the M mark on the strippy one? It doesn't look much like an M

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! See the two that are slanted on his forehead? There is another line that runs straight down on each side , a perfect M!

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I can thank you. I can see it now you've pointed it out and I can see mum's. Is there different types would they be general tabby if they have ginger?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all colors can be tabby. I have three ginger tabbies right now. All they need are the stripes in any of the tabby patterns.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There are 4 basic tabby patterns.
Classic (also called blotched or marbled)
Mackerel (stripes)
Spotted
Ticked (each hair has bands of light and dark color)

All of these can occur in any color

TCS has an article that describes the different tabby patterns. Tabby Cats

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mom looks like she could be spotted, a dsh tuxedo brown tabby and the kitten looks like a mackerel brown tabby and white, maybe a tux too. He has some unusual stuff going on in his pattern too in that first pic maybe. Such cuties 😻

My Merlin is a ginger( red) mackerel tabby tuxedo with mittens and boots or really leggings.
There are numerous variations of the basic tabby patterns, check out this page:

STRIPED, SPOTTED AND TICKED CATS

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mom looks like she could be spotted, a dsh tuxedo brown tabby and the kitten looks like a mackerel brown tabby and white, maybe a tux too. He has some unusual stuff going on in his pattern too in that first pic maybe. Such cuties 😻

My Merlin is a ginger( red) mackerel tabby tuxedo with mittens and boots or really leggings.
There are numerous variations of the basic tabby patterns, check out this page:

STRIPED, SPOTTED AND TICKED CATS
Thank you. He definitely appears more striped than mum. Mum appeared more spotty with some stripes.

Attachments

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any more side photos of mum? Looks more like a broken mackerel tabby than a fused spotted tabby. But it's hard to tell.