Is there anyone who can give me advice on a bengal ?

kitty kins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone give me some advise on the behaviour of bengal kittens / young cats ? Just a general overview would be great , from your own experience . My cat is a Bengal cross her mother was a bengal pedigree F4 and her father was a bengal / british short hair cross she was only 8 weeks old when we got her as the owners wanted the litter gone as soon as possible , we was looking for a pedigree but we loved her so much we couldn't leave her , she was the last kitten and the owners were going to take her to a RSPCA centre if we didn't take her . She's very clean , but has behaviour problems , any advise would be very helpful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty kins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to say I did see the mothers pedigree and my cat was free to good home

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat carries the genes of the wild ancestor -- there are many Bengal forums out there and they can help you learn how to work with your cat to encourage her domestic side while dealing with her wild side.  You can't blame her for doing what here genes tell her to do.  Just for an introduction, here's a web site with  video from a man who runs a big cat rescue program.

http://bigcatrescue.org/savannah-cats-and-bengal-cats-make-bad-pets/

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My understanding has been that much of the initial behavioural issues had been bred out of later hybrid Bengals however it could be that the crossing and mixture with your cat has worked against this in some way. Equally it could just be that she is a very active and inteligent cat that needs a whole lot of input - just like a Bengal!  They can be a handful and you need to be very consistent and clear with them as well as giving them plenty of engaging toys around their environment and space to climb and use up their energy.  I believe Bengals like to climb and be up high, and some need good consistent bite training.  They need to learn that they can not climb, bunny kick or bite their human companions pretty early in life, before they get too large.

I think there are a number of members on the site who have Bengals so hopefully some of them will see your post.

If there specific behaviours you would like advice on you may find more members with interest and experience in these types of issues by posting in the Behaviour Forum?

Do you have photographs of your cat?  

You might also like to post a cat page for her to show off her good looks and tell everyone more about her - and enter the cat pages contest thread too!