Is there a way to tell the difference between poop and pee in my cat’s litter box?

Owlmaid

Tiedyedowl
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for reading. My baby has a UTI. We’ve been to the vet, and he’s on meds. I need to monitor how often he’s urinating. I’m not sure how to tell the difference (or if it’s even possible) to tell the difference between poop and pee in the clumps. He can’t stand it when I watch him use the litterbox or am even near it while he’s using it, so I can’t watch or hear him, so that’s out. Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The only time I couldn't tell the visual difference between pee and poop is if a cat has diarrhea. I am sure if you smell it - even when covered with litter - you should be able to tell the difference. You should also be able to break up the clump if need be to tell which is which.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure is. If you break apart a pee clump it will either disintegrate or break into small pieces and there is nothing inside. Poop clumps will have poop inside and depending on how your cat covers you may be able to see the pieces just barely covered with litter.