Is there a way to stop this?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abbey goes with me every time I go to the bathroom. (A lot these days) That's not the problem though, the problem is she has a bad habit of stopping right in front of my feet. It's not such a big deal during the day, but in the middle of the night it's really dangerous! I'm gonna trip over her and fall and hurt both of us.

I can't think of a way to train her not to. I guess I just need to be aware, even if I'm half asleep.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice for you, but Holland is the same way when it's time to eat. I put her food in her dish, and she seems to believe that she needs to keep a half step in front of me so she can remind me where her food dish goes.
I have nearly tripped over her many times, I just have to remember to be careful and watch out for where she is.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Stumpy's nickname is "Speed Bump". The Speed Bump trait runs deep in my house. I have to walk with a shuffle to my feet at night or I will run into at least one of my cats.

My opinion on training them for this behavior? Don't try it. The only way that you will get them to move is if you scare them away, and you never want them to be afraid of you as you walk around the house. My Pinky doesn't do this anymore, as one night I stepped on him hard in the dark. He now runs from me every time I walk towards him. A bad lesson for a cat.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to slide my feet along so I can scoop kitties out the way because I guess at 20 years old, I still can't go to the bathroom alone. Lol!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep a small flashlight by the bed, and get in the habit of taking it with you. Do you have an outlet in the hall and/or bathroom for a night light?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Keep a small flashlight by the bed, and get in the habit of taking it with you. Do you have an outlet in the hall and/or bathroom for a night light?
No outlet in the hall and the one in the bathroom doesn't work. Flashlights a good idea. Thank you!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My Stumpy's nickname is "Speed Bump". The Speed Bump trait runs deep in my house. I have to walk with a shuffle to my feet at night or I will run into at least one of my cats.
Speed bump, sleeping police kitty
!
For me this was never a question, a kitty will most likely be at my feet at any given time, so always be aware and cautious. Maia is a food junky who loves to wait for me to exit the bathroom and try to do a cute dance and adorable mews in hopes of me following her into the kitchen for a midnight snack!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lola never learns, she's a challenged kitty. She's always underfoot. The best solution I can come up with is to shuffle my feet. She has gotten out of the habit of being underfoot as much now that I shuffle my feet (I think the noise freaks her out a bit).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luvmy10

I have to slide my feet along so I can scoop kitties out the way because I guess at 20 years old, I still can't go to the bathroom alone. Lol!
That's what I was going to recommend! In the middle of the night, slide your feet along, rather than stepping.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cococat, those links were funny. I took the quiz and got "There is a 83% chance your cat is plotting to kill you"...

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to shuffle my feet. I always have potty supervision and the cats (4) sleep directly in my nighttime travel path to the bathroom. They've learned after getting shuffled into a few times to get out of the way. After all, they're the ones who can see in the dark! Not me!

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I inadvertently trained one of my cats to jump up on the sink whenever I walk towards the bathroom by giving him his favorite "treat" (which weirdly enough happens to be a shower in the sink) while he's up there. This took all of about a day/ four repetitions (he used to get showers in the tub, which required me to bend over, or on the floor, which made a mess). Maybe you could put him on the sink and give him a food treat up there three or four times a day so that he gets the idea.

The only problem is you will probably have to give him a treat at night as soon as he runs up there too.