Is there a vegetable that you refuse to eat?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As a vegetarian I like almost all vegetables. Kale is my favorite but I do not like the other greens, especially collard greens. I could eat my weight in kale. YUM!!!!
I was introduced to kale last year!  I absolutely love it.   I have a white bean, sausage and kale soup that is to die for! Best soup I've ever made or eaten.  I have to figure out how to make it heart smart though.  The sausage isn't part of my diet plan....maybe ground chicken or turkey balls instead of sausage.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was introduced to kale last year!  I absolutely love it.   I have a white bean, sausage and kale soup that is to die for! Best soup I've ever made or eaten.  I have to figure out how to make it heart smart though.  The sausage isn't part of my diet plan....maybe ground chicken or turkey balls instead of sausage.
Chicken or turkey sausage would be a good replacement

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt the eggplant liberally and leave for all the bitter to come out. Then rinse well. I love eggplant. Never tried kale. I only ever eaten yukky boiled Brussel sprouts. Never seen fresh ones here. Only frozen.
I love peppers but they repeat on me. Love avocado. Not really a veggie eater. Never pushed my kids to eat their greens. We had fresh salads.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love roasted brussels sprouts.  They are good with just oil for roasting and salt and pepper.  You can also add a little garlic.  They are really good with a lot of things, bacon, onion.  I saw the Pioneer Woman toss roasted brussels sprouts with a balsamic vinegar reduction and dried cranberries, that was on her holiday show.  I hadn't tried that but it sounds good.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are different kinds of eggplant... the long skinny ones seem to stay firm.  I like them diced and lightly sauteed with fresh garlic, fresh ginger, red bell peppers and a light drizzle of teriyaki sauce.

Agree with others that over cooking veggies is usually the problem.

That said, I am picky about brussel sprouts, and haven't tried cooked okra (pickled, yes).
There definitely are different types of eggplant and some can be delish, while other :nausea: I don't often cook them at home as DH doesn't like them, but when I do I salt them for an hour or so.
Love lima beans, which I discovered by accident when they were included in a dish I ordered at a restaurant. I loathe fava beans, which IMO taste like bile. Seriously, DH and I both gagged at the fava beans served at a Lebanese style restaurant.
Growing up, I hated beetroot. In New Zealand it pops up everywhere, such as burgers and sandwiches, and in this form is easy to hate. I only recently discovered its potential when a friend served a raw beet salad. I only ate some out of politeness, but oh my goodness, it was fantastic! Since then, I've eaten it quite a bit and come to appreciate its earthy sweetness.
Always refused brussels sprouts too, but this last Christmas my niece made them and they were delicious.
I used to hate olives and avocados too, but now love them. Funny how much your tastes can change as you get older.
So not many veges I hate except fava beans and kerula melons, which I tried on a whim once and found disgusting.