Is there a positive to breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a place for both. For some, you have pedigree cats, for others, they want mixed. I only had one litter a year and I had homes for the kittens before they were born.

As long as you are a responsible breeder and do not overbreed, you can have your place in the cat fancy. For me, I like both HHP's and pedigrees as I've had both and always will.

You have irresponsible people who allow their mixes to breed and you have just as irresponsible people who overbreed pedigrees. But I feel there is a place for both in this world.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FutureCatLady

So as a past breeder, how do you feel about some people's negative views on breeding-focusing on the fact that breeding is taking away from potential homes for stray cats?
Een though I know this was directed towards GoldenKitty45, I wanted to address it as a breeder as well. This question has brought up to me time and again - it is a very valid question and I thank you for asking it here.

The fact is that kittens produced by breeders most often do not take away potential homes from stray or rescued cats. People who purchase pedigreed cats do so for various reasons; among them the known traits of a certain breed, ancestry and known health issues. Most of these people have either shared their homes with a cat of a specific breed before and wish to do so again or have other, intimate knowledge of specific breed traits. In purchasing a pedigreed cat from a breeder, they are (for the most part) assured that the kitten they are purchasing is, in fact, a member of that breed with those familiar traits, ancestry and known health issues.

Adopting a shelter or rescue cat contains many unknown variables. While I am in absolutely no way, shape or form trying to discourage anyone here from adopting a rescue or shelter cat, the truth is that certain people want to be assured of personality traits, health issues or ancestry in the pets they bring into their homes. Those people normally would not even consider adopting a rescue or shelter cat. There is no choice for them, they will seek the services of a breeder every time. Can this be considered an elitist mindset? Yes, sometimes it can be. But, it is a fact of life as we know it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

futurecatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assume that we're all cat lovers here. So I'm sure that all of our hearts break when we think of how many homeless and/or abused cats there are out there. What do you guys think may be a solution to so many homeless cats? Have you heard of the "Trap-Neuter-Return" Program? If so, any thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FutureCatLady

I assume that we're all cat lovers here. So I'm sure that all of our hearts break when we think of how many homeless and/or abused cats there are out there. What do you guys think may be a solution to so many homeless cats? Have you heard of the "Trap-Neuter-Return" Program? If so, any thoughts?
For thoughts on TNR I would suggest the stray and feral forum on here ... it is wornderful

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Additionally, I would also suggest that questions along these lines would be far better served in the In My Opinion Forum here at TCS. Once you have achieved the appropriate membership status, please feel free to post your questions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.