Is there a non clay clumping litter?

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was recently told by a friend that Tidy Cats lightweight cat litter was causing health issues in many many cats. I dont personally use that kind but I did some digging because one can never learn to much about cat health! What I found shocked me. 

I have been using Arm & Hammer cat litter for YEARS. And I havent had any major issues with it. But I did find out that clay is strip mined which is terrible for the environment AND clay litter is not biodegradeable. And if that isnt bad enough, the clumping clay litter has a chemical in it called sodium bentonite which when wet expands up to 15 times its normal size. And if your cat licks their paws after using the box, they could potentially ingest this which is not good at all. ALSO clay litter and the crystal litter sometimes has silica, which is a known carcinogen! 

So basically, clay litter seems like bad news to me. I want a healthy natural alternative. I have three cats and one of my babies has a history with UTI issues. There was a time where he was completely blocked and his bladder stretched very big (he is better now) so when he pees now, it is a LOT of urine. And when i say a lot, i mean when i go to scoop it i normal have to break it up into three pieces because it is BIGGER THAN MY SCOOP. 

Clumping, oder control, and natural is what im looking for. Doesn't have to be something I can buy either if there is a way to make this and the materials arent terrible expensive/hard to obtain i am more than willing to do that. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a number of litters that are "natural" and "biodegradable".
Blue Buffalo makes a litter with a walnut shell base
World's Best litter is corn based
Swheat Scoop is made from wheat

I'm sure there are more out there, but those are the three that I've tried.