Is there a law?

caliprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if there was a law on how many cats you can have. I was told that it is four cats unless you have a breeders license. But I don't understand why you would need a breeders license if all the cats are fixed. I don't understand why they would put a low number of four cats per house hold with soooo many kittens looking for homes. I'm really curious about this because I currently have five kittens. I'm sure different states have different laws, so if anybody has information on California that would be great! (Sorry if this was the wrong sections to post this)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am sure the law is mainly as result of people who hoard and keep dozens of cats all unaltered. If someone actually reported you and they came to your house and saw your nice clean house, healthy clean cats, and that you have maybe 5 or 6 rather then the minimum allowed, then they may not do anything. I have no idea what the laws are I am just saying if there is one that is probably the reason. The idiots had to ruin it for the real cat caretakers. I was going to say cat lvoers but I know most of those hoarders do love cats and they think they are saving them all by keeping so many.

billxp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have local laws here in NY. Depends on your location. Where we live its 5 max. But I doubt anyone would report us for the 6 we have

I think its more about giving the govt the ability to do something in the case of pet hoarders, that really took on more than they can handle, than just going after regular citizens. But thats just my opinion.

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah in some areas it is 3 total pets and in others as high as 9. Do a google search for your county or city with pet ordinance or limit and you should be able to find it. I don't agree with it either especially since my mother's neighbor has 11 kids which is ok but in her area 4 pets is the limit.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Caliprincess

I was wondering if there was a law on how many cats you can have. I was told that it is four cats unless you have a breeders license. But I don't understand why you would need a breeders license if all the cats are fixed. I don't understand why they would put a low number of four cats per house hold with soooo many kittens looking for homes. I'm really curious about this because I currently have five kittens. I'm sure different states have different laws, so if anybody has information on California that would be great! (Sorry if this was the wrong sections to post this)
Amount of pets permitted varies from county to county...so it is best to google that information online or check with Animal Control.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caliprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody! I can understand having a limit, but with so many homless kitties and all the poor kitties that get put down daily, I would think that it would be more then just 4. But I doubt I'd get reported for just having 5 especially with all the kitty lovers on my street. Technically three of them are mine, although I'm supposed to be trying to find a home for one of the kittens, but untill my step dad says something about it I'm keeping her...LoL. And the other two adult cats are my mom's. We switch off on buying the cat food and litter, so they don't EVER go without, and even if we're low on money and they need to go to the vet we find a way. They're all happy here, and gets lots of love. I just don't understand the whole breeders license thing if they're all fixed and can't breed. But I'll go google it up. Thanks for the help.