Is the kitten getting fat?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, as a quick introduction to people who've never heard of me--about a year ago my brother brought home a kitten. (She's the first cat that's ever been in this house.) I tried logical arguements to get her spayed--which crashed and burned on the emotional response of "but she needs to have one litter." She had a litter of five. I got her spayed as the kittens were being weaned, and a little while after that my brother moved out taking the mother cat and two of the kittens--leaving me with three. Spot, Ra, and Princess (also known as Runt) are the three kittens.

Ra is bigger than the others. He's always been the biggest of the litter (on his second day of life he tried to cover all of his mother's teats so that he was the only one nursing--but one of his sisters fixed that problem). Spot and Princess are quick, active, and don't lie around any longer than it takes to re-energize before starting on their next kitten hijinx. Ra has become sedentary. He's overall slower than the other two, he's eating more than the other two, and he's starting to get round.

However--he's also still growing. (Up AND out.) So--is he getting fat? Do I need to adjust and restrict his diet?

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your brother is sadly misinformed about the relationship between spay surgery and cat health.  What's going to happen when the two kittens he's adopted reach sexual maturity?  Are they girls?  If at least one of them is, I'd be tempted to sic animal control on his a** before allowing him breed another cat.  Forcing pregnancy on a cat- there is always risk of complications- not to mention the incredibly stupid and irresponsible decision to bring more kittens into a world already oversaturated with homeless cats and kittens, is animal abuse, IMO.  

He needs a stern talking to by a vet.  Or an animal control officer.  Or someone from the ASPCA.  Or all of the above.

Sorry for the rant, but this tendency of his to make "emotional" decisions detrimental to the well-being of his cats has got to be nipped in the bud.  This is a very serious matter and, unfortunately, you may have to be the one to intervene if necessary.

As for kittens getting fat, their little bodies will sometimes accumulate fat in preparation for a growth spurt.  They need to eat as much as they want or else their development could be stunted.  If they're still rotund when they reach adulthood, then you may need to consider a higher protein/lower carb food(s).  Or going raw, if you're not opposed.  What kind of food are you giving them?  It might not be a bad idea to get them on a high protein, every life stage food now, if they're not already on it.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, you're preaching to the choir. Problem is that he doesn't respect authority. I half think the reason he balked at getting her fixed in the first place is that I was so adamant about it.

As for the food: I'm leaving dry food down for them to munch as they get hungry, and I'm giving them wet food three or four timed a day.

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honey, you're preaching to the choir. Problem is that he doesn't respect authority. I half think the reason he balked at getting her fixed in the first place is that I was so adamant about it.

As for the food: I'm leaving dry food down for them to munch as they get hungry, and I'm giving them wet food three or four timed a day.
He sounds like a real peach 
  I know and have to deal with people like this on a regular basis, so I commiserate.  

Since you're willing to feed four times daily, you could switch them over to an all wet diet.  Dry is usually higher in carbs.  But I really wouldn't worry about tubbiness unless they're nearing adulthood and haven't converted that extra fat yet, or continue to gain.  

Best wishes!